Freeview PVR

Discussion in 'PC and I.T support/Advice posts' started by Spinal, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    As some may have seen, I've just swapped to BT infinity... which means I'll be losing my Virgin TV service.

Now, I don't watch much TV and while I will miss the history and discovery channels, I can always get sky if really desperate. That said, I do need a freeview box as my tv doesn't appear to have a receiver built in.

I was thinking of something with PVR and HD capabilities... what's the general consensus? Any brands/models I should be looking at (or avoiding?)

M.

2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    We recently dumped BT's freeview offering (after being with them from launch) simply because BT refused to upgrade the boxes to HD..

Now have a Panasonic PVR freeview box with twin HD tuners, access to Netflix etc.. and all the "wind-back" tv services. Excellent bit of kit. :)

3. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Don't be tempted to get a cheap non HD freeview PVR-- won't have access to On Demand TV such as BBC IPlayer- check the spec carefully as to the extra facilities /inputs video formats it will accept. Difficult to decide between the big names Humax PANASONIC SAMSUNG SONY etc maybe get one that will integrate best with your existing TV = one less remote. They have all been criticised for their EPG sources from time to time which are farmed out to third party providers -- some offer better= further into the future recording facilities then others.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    I have Humax HD PVR. Didn't cost a lot and works well, will get another when/if it goes phut. TV is Pan Viera.

5. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    Does the Humax one allow to stream video from a SMB share?

6. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430

Is that the same as this?

"....share your recorded content with other devices around the home."

If not then no idea :(

Ian

7. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    Quite a few options in the Panasonic range with twin Freeview HD tuners that are DLNA compliant (server and client).

1 person likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    Thanks- Ian, nope, it's not.

I was thinking of something that lets me stream directly from an SMB share as I have a drobo and have no idea how to get the DLNA server working. Drobo themselves are dreadful with support of apps... I have a PS3 that will stream, but it needs another computer on to do the SMB->DLNA transition.

M

9. spinaltap

spinaltap Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 Avantgarde (2009) A180 Avantgarde (2012)
    You get a free Humax YouView box with BT Infinity, with monthly fee of either £5 for their Essentials package, or £12 for their Unlimited package.

10. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    We bought a cheap one from Tesco two and a half years ago (Technika Smartbox 8320HD) and have to say it's been fine. It was £200, which was quite a bargain for a twin-tuner HD box back then.

Tags: