French auto routes & speeding.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul

Car
2011 E220
As I have mentioned previously, We have our holiday in the S/France in a couple of weeks.

Now, although I saw no evidence of this the last time I drove in France (Paris to my front door in 4hrs!) I have been told this:

When you enter a toll road your ticket is of course time stamped, then when you reach the other end of toll road they apparently work out your average speed by the time you covered the distance.

I then hear that if you covered the distance to quickly the Police will be called over to the toll booth and your fined on the spot.

Any ideas anyone.

I have also been told this, but unless you have a king size bladder I assume you might have stopped on route which will drastically change your average mate.:cool: :cool:

I done paris to calais in my CLK230 kompressor in very quick time, and had no problems. I was told to keep a bottle of good french wine in the boot just incase ;)

I've been travelling down to the Charante for the past 8 years, twice a year. We've never had any problems. The things to watch out for are the radars. They hide away and their mate is about 1 Km ahead waiting for you, or waiting at the toll booth. Seen loads of people pulled..normally the French drivers..lol.

They also get very upst about Radar detectors. Still illegal in France I think.

The few people I know that have been booked for speeding on the french toll roads were all caught by radar/laser, but were stopped later at the tolls, they radio down to their coleagues.

Hi,

I live in S/France and use the autoroutes on a daily basis. Never heard of this though. The effectiveness of the police in France differs depending on the region. In the north and west they can be quite serious. Down here in the midi much less so, beware nice spring days which give them the first opportunity to begin a tan. When it rains they NEVER come out! Usually French drivers warn of radar traps by a flash of lights and fortunately the police seem to use the same places all the time.
During August they come under lots of pressure from political masters and usually have a purge which dies out by September.
If I can help anyone with anything to do with France don't hesitate to contact me.

Bob

I've also heard of that tale, but reading the thread I guess its possible that the rumour about the toll-booths checking the entry/exit times and then calling the police arose because of the real police radar/laser checks a few km upstream and them coming over and feeling the collar of some quick drivers.

If you were watching the police at the tolls but hadn't seen the radar trap it would be easy to assume that the drivers had been caught via the ticker timings rather than anything else.

It is tempting to go fast in France because of the long journey times but a UK friend of mine was caught a few km from the tolls in his E320CDI and had an on-the-spot fine for his trouble (no credit cards please). I guess you need to be especially careful within about 10km of the toll booths.

There is a certain speed to keep under to avoid a very large fine, I think its about 120mph but Bob might know more. One of the people I know that got caught was told if he was doing a few miles per hour more the fine would have been 4X

The British

+30mph over =Goodbye Licence

Applies I expect.:devil: :devil:

Thanks everyone, I will proberly cruise at 90mph all night so looks like I will be ok then. We leave on 19th June, so wont be busy.

Bob, where abouts in S/France are you, I think its near Sete where were staying.

I have asked around about this, it doesn't happen, at least not with Autoroute de Sud. Most I spoke to doubt the capability exists let alone the possibility of co-operation with the police by the toll booth staff.
Richard is correct about higher speeds attracting larger fines. I am almost sure the first limit is 30kph over the limit.
I usually stick with the traffic flow if there is one or keep around 98mph as a maximum if there isn't one. This keeps me within the smaller fine category being just less than 160kph. This is on a daily basis and I haven't ever been pulled let alone fined.
On occasion, driving through the night with very light traffic, I have cruised at 120mph from Calais to way down here in the south.
Paul, I live 15 minutes from Sete, send me an email and I will give you my number. If you don't know this area I can help a lot.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,
The place is called "VALRAS PLAGE, Domaine de la Yole" does this help as to the exact location. Have you heard of it.

Hey this could be the first French mini GTG.

Paul,

I spent a night in the port of Valras Plage a couple of years ago escaping bad weather. I haven't been back! My memories of the place are not that good, it was all a bit sleazy. You will have good weather and a good beach though and will be well placed to make trips to places of interest in the area.
Valras Plage is south of Sete between Cap d'Agde and Narbonne Plage. Come off the autoroute at the first Beziers exit and make a left. Can you send me more details about The Domaine? An address and a phone number would be good.

Having a mini GTG is a great idea!

Bob

Bob,
The address is: Camping De La Yole, Route Vendres, Valras Plage, 34350.
Hopes this gives you a better idea of location.

To everyone else I will have a digital camera so I will take piccys.
Whether I can post the bl**dy things is a diffrent. matter.

I am going to the French Alps in the middle of June. I usually cruise at 90mph as well, as my wife gets switchy over 100mph.

At the last GTG at Jimmy's someone else said that they were going near there at the same time???:confused:

Was it you Simon? Or who?:confused: :confused:

There have been times when I have driven on CD plates through France at very high speeds, never been pulled so it is the luck of the draw. However, as I said in an earlier post beware the holiday season, especially August. Maff mentions a bottle of wine in the boot, try that only if you want to be put down so deep they have to pipe sunlight into you. French people may just get away with trying that on but Brits certainly won't and it is a very serious offence.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom