French cheese

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martyn_n

Car
W124 E320, W163 ML270 & W166 ML350
I've just found a lovely Brie at the back of the fridge, unfortunately it claims I should have "used" it by 2nd January (I assume 2017).
Question is bin or biscuit? I know the forum is full of wise people who will point me in the right direction and I can soon reverse my initial instinct to bin it as it's only a shallow brabantia one and I have long arms.

Thanks in advance,
Martyn.

I'd eat it no problem.

I would say sniff it first but when it comes to cheese that's an unreliable measurement.

The only time I ever throw out cheese if it has dried out or gone irredeemably mouldy. Fermented milk is pretty safe especially in a fridge. Most proper cheeses are aged for months longer than a supermarket would deem acceptable. Actually to taste it properly let it come to room temperature.

Another one for eat it. It's cheese, which is only milk that has gone off anyway...

Thanks everyone. It says it's perfect for sharing (maybe less perfect than three weeks ago) so if you all pm me your addresses I'll stick some in the post to show my appreciation for the input.
As an aside I was looking in the fridge for soft food as I've had a molar out today, do you think mouldy milk will aid the healing process?

Unless it's walking towards you when you open the fridge, eat it. It won't make matters any worse I suspect.

+1 for eat it - preferably with some port to wash it down! We have a load of cheese in our fridge, some bought in France in earlyish December, no way are we binning it! The Stilton is better each time we try it, as are the 3 French blue cheeses, the goats cheese and even the one sheeps cheese!

Enjoy!!

You should do tours of your fridge chrishazel, the two French blues and a goats cheese would see me signing up for it. Port is a good call, I also have some of that left over from Christmas so it sounds like a cracking plan!!

Wife's down with a filthy flu the past few days, hence cheese is surviving. However, she's on the mend (on the wine tonight for the first time in days) so that tubbyware box is close to getting raided!

We made a rod for our own backs a few years ago, going to daughter and inlaws for Xmas so said we'd do the cheeseboard as a small contribution to Xmas day. Got the cheese this year (on our pre Xmas booze cruise to calais/Ardres, there are advantages to living 25 mins from the Channel Tunnel!!), split it into 2 packs - then forgot we had 1/2 in our fridge when we came home after Xmas and daughter insisted we took cheese back home with us. Also got 2 nice bottles of Port as pressies. Ho Hum, it's tough but someone has to do it!!

Most cheese in this country is sold in dreadful condition. It is packed far too early, so never matures properly, is chilled to within an inch of its life and has virtually no flavour. Go to a proper cheese shop (the art of maturing cheeses - affinage in French - is one requiring skill and experience) and taste a great ripe cheese. There is no comparison.

Another one for eating it, especially as you've said it was (originally?) lovely. French and Belgian cheeses can be pretty smelly even well within their sell-by date. Mind you, now thinking of cheese has got me yearning for cheddar: firm yet crumbly, with bags of flavour

Martyn, you're a star! This thread is properly in the fine tradition of off topic threads. Well done, Sir!

Just discovered a bottle of milk at the back of the fridge with an expiry date of 8 January. Opened it, drank some, and it's perfect.

With some types of food I wouldn't chance it - salads containing mayonnaise (e.g. coleslaw) or anything containing fresh eggs, certain types of meat or raw fish - but with most other things, if its not mouldy and does not smell off, then it's fine... :)

I'm going to eat it tonight, I've had a bit and it was indeed lovely (But unbelievably sticky even without warming up) I didn't eat it on the night as I also found a slightly less out of date Camembert which I decided to bake in order to prepare my stomach for the more mature delights to come its way.
markjay, you are way braver than me 8th January for milk is way out of my comfort zone!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom