French Filling Stations/ Credit cards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

Does anyone know how to get petrol from the unmanned filing stations in France?
We are going in 5 weeks and will do a fair amount of miles but while there last year we actually run out of diesel because of these filling stations not recognising our credit cards.
Can anyone say which cards we need to get fuel.

Thanks,

This may be stating the obvious, but as far as i understand, you need to have a FRENCH ISSUED credit card to be able to use the unmanned pumps, therefore, to have one you need to either be a French National or have a French address.

Last edited:
the problem may be sorted with a chip and pin credit card

yup - chip n pin cards should be OK. Secret is to never let yourself get that low without checking out first where you know you'll be able to get fuel. Nearly got caught out ourselves on that one a couple fo years ago.

Hi

Wife had chip and pin card last year and it did not work either.

Thanks so far folks.

I've never had a problem with either type of credit card when buying fuel. I've just got back from a week in Provence, and my chip and pin debit card worked fine in an autopump. Oddly, it got refused as many times at it was accepted in restaurants / shops.....

I seem to recall that my previous card was occasionally declined too, so maybe it's just a foreign system thing.

Incidentally, I also find that a debit card is declined more often than a credit card.

PJ

Just found this article (below)....it confirms that you do need a French card.......

"Petrol stations
Almost all stations accept Visa and Mastercard; however take care with 24h automatic pumps in supermarket forecourts. Many of these do not accept UK credit cards, as they are set up for French smart cards, with their integrated chip and PIN number. If in doubt, make sure that you don't have to fill up in an emergency at an unmanned filling station at night or on Sundays."

http://www.aboutfrance.bravepages.com/travel.htm#motorw

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom