French go Trés Hardcore on Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just was reading a post I put a while ago about speeding in france, now I wish from what people said that I didn't go so fast. I could be in real trouble and end up with so many fines I cant afford to pay. Dont surpose anyone knows the longest they can take to come through, just so I know how many months before I can stop worrying? :(

mercedes lover said:
I just was reading a post I put a while ago about speeding in france, now I wish from what people said that I didn't go so fast. I could be in real trouble and end up with so many fines I cant afford to pay. :(

Or heaven forbid you may one day have an accident at 110mph and kill someone or yourself!

Whilst none of us much like speed cameras, would you really want to be driving on the roads without speed limits?

Sorry Jimmy - yes I would like to go back to autobahns without limits.....

But also I agree completely with your sentiment about having an accident at that speed - heaven forbid!!

I grew up in Germany and regularly had the experience of travelling in excess of 100mph quite legally and being flashed at by other drivers 'cos I was going too slowly (yes flashing headlights is socially acceptable over there too)! At the same time the germans had speed and traffic light cameras long before the UK (my father still has the picture from 1979).

The message I seem to remember was that 'where there's a limit then stick to it - or we'll get you!'. It's that sort of mind set I still drive with, in built up areas or villages then I'm very careful, but on the motorways I'll travel as fast as traffic (and the law ;) ) will allow.

Edit: The German approach would not, of course, work in the UK due to the density of traffic - there may be a couple of stretches in Scotland where it could be allowed - but could you imagine the M6 without a limit :crazy:

I'm off to France skiing in early March so I'm going to take advice and stick to a steady cruise - I can't afford the fines!

R

Last edited:
More news this morning! For those of you that come down to the south or Spain using the Clermont Ferrand route.
After Millau you cross the Larzac plateau (A75) then drop down through a tunnel towards Lodeve. Right now the speed limit in the tunnel area is set at 70kph, no idea why, maybe cos it can get icy. The news is they are booking people doing 72kph! No big deal at €135 but better in your pockets than theirs.
This is zero tolerance, I was on the A9 this morning and the fast traffic was passing my 140kph.
Anyone coming down here drop me a line for an update.

Bob

No speed limits… no way in UK!

Richard W said:
Sorry Jimmy - yes I would like to go back to autobahns without limits.....

But also I agree completely with your sentiment about having an accident at that speed - heaven forbid!!

I grew up in Germany and regularly had the experience of travelling in excess of 100mph quite legally and being flashed at by other drivers 'cos I was going too slowly (yes flashing headlights is socially acceptable over there too)! At the same time the germans had speed and traffic light cameras long before the UK (my father still has the picture from 1979).

The message I seem to remember was that 'where there's a limit then stick to it - or we'll get you!'. It's that sort of mind set I still drive with, in built up areas or villages then I'm very careful, but on the motorways I'll travel as fast as traffic (and the law ;) ) will allow.

Its often thought that the Germans have no speed limits on the Autobahns, but that's not strictly true. Even on the de-ristrcted sections there is an 'advisory' 130kph limit. If you have a crunch on a de-ristricted section and are travelling over 130kph you can be done on the grounds that your speed contributed to the bang! Other than that the German system of speed limits is in my estimation very fair and sensible. Go as fast as the conditions permit on Motorways outside urban areas, 100ish kph on Motorways/duals in built up areas, and a very fiercely enforced 20kph in areas designated as 'play streets' ie residential areas, outside schools etc. Of couse it would not work in the UK as the Germans in general show excellent lane discipline unlike here where people make up the rules on Motorways as they go along!

And the flashing headlights… "it means fast car comming through" and people do indeed pull over! Never ceases to amaze me, of course here in UK flashing a lane hogging muppet usually results in a spot of road rage.

Last edited:
jimmy said:
Or heaven forbid you may one day have an accident at 110mph and kill someone or yourself!

Whilst none of us much like speed cameras, would you really want to be driving on the roads without speed limits?
Yes I would like no speed limit on the motorway in britain and i would like speed camera's out side schools and residential areas, so britain can cut down child deaths and no longer have the hightest amount of children run over and killed in europe

Als as for having a go at me for doing 110mph on the motorway, i'm sure i'm one of many on this website so lets see who's willing to own up to doing the same. I have an feeling not many will.

Thanks Vito, it's a while since I've been there!

Yes - I do wish the 'fast car coming through' flash was recognised here. I remember on my IAM training that a long flash meant 'I am/wish to overtake' but that was back in 1984 :rolleyes: so things have probably changed again!

I will hold my hand up and say I do regularly travel on Motorways at 100mph WHERE CONDITIONS ALLOW! I stick to that speed 'cos any faster and you loose you licence!

Richard W said:

Yes - I do wish the 'fast car coming through' flash was recognised here. I remember on my IAM training that a long flash meant 'I am/wish to overtake' but that was back in 1984 :rolleyes: so things have probably changed again!

I will hold my hand up and say I do regularly travel on Motorways at 100mph WHERE CONDITIONS ALLOW! I stick to that speed 'cos any faster and you loose you licence!
Nice one mate can see you have the pride in what you do to stand up and admit it ;) , t6hats a good caulity in a person, rather than doing it and having a go at others that do.

wise man! Bus tickets are no fun

Richard W said:

Problem we have here on Motorways is no one is taught how to use them. A Police friend's favorite hate is the CLODS, Centre Lane Owner DriverS. You know the sort, middle lane at 50 never pull over even when the insides empty. Unfortunately with these sort of unobservant Micra drivers filling our roads its not really safe to go very fast. Last time I flashed one to pull over he braked and got very uppity!!

Very sensible to stick to the sub 100mph rule! clocked at 99mph = big fine, 101mph = bus season ticket :-(

Also my pennies worth as to 'over 100mph' issue; The German Autobahns are very straight and have very little slow moving traffic unlike our's with lots of bimblers doing 30. Reality Fix Time… lose it or have a blow out over 100mph, doesn't matter what you drive your going to end up very dead!! No car made can protect you at that sort of speed. And it doesn't matter how good a driver you are, if someone pulls in front of you its bang! You and them are dead! Remember there are a lot of people on the roads who don't use their rear view mirrors!

Keep it real and keep it safe! nice Beemer BTW!

Andy

I have no problem with travelling at speeds in excess of 70 mph, the point I was trying to make is that it is not very safe to do so on UK roads most of the time unless it is the very early hours of the morning with less other cars on the road. UK motorists do not abide to lane discipline thinking it is OK to stay in the middle lane, and I do not feel safe travelling at 90+mph when some doddery old or not so old git is quite likely to pull out in front of you without warning or you get traffic coming to a sudden standstill for no apparent reason.

I think the police should be harder on dangerous drivers, tax dodgers, lane hoggers etc and less hard on easy speeding tickets and then perhaps we could safely raise the speed limit on certain roads.

I have not driven in Germany but I think that they must have stricter policing to make it safer. I have driven thousands of miles in the USA, how ironic that one of the few countries where they have wide open, straight, quiet roads they have riduculously low speed limits.

Yes, I was caught in Texas doing well over 100mph, quite a scary experience being stopped by an armed officer knowing how strict they are over there. Luckily for me the officer was very nice and basically let me off with a strict warning.

And another thing, I am all for re-tests every 5 years or so.

@MercedesLover, I am not having a dig at you. Speed limits are for a reason, yes I exceed the speed limits on open roads and motorways when it is safe to do so and never excessively fast, thats why I have a Road Angel but I never speed in built up areas. I have seen 2 seperate accidents where a person and a young child have died, one on a motorway where the driver was doing about 85mph and somebody pulled out in front of him who was travelling about 65mph, horrific crash was the result as the speeding driver swerved to avoid the car and ended up on the other side of the crash barrier, the car was totally unrecognisable.

The second was a girl driving at 40mph through our 30mph village, a 7 year old boy ran into the road to rescue his pet cat, I will never forget either incident.

Don't want to preach like an old git but it makes you think when you see things like that, if only the bloke on the motorway was only doing 75mph he would still be alive, if the girl in our village was doing 32mph that little boy would still be alive!!

stricter policing?… oh yes!

jimmy said:
I have not driven in Germany but I think that they must have stricter policing to make it safer. I have driven thousands of miles in the USA, how ironic that one of the few countries where they have wide open, straight, quiet roads they have riduculously low speed limits.

Indeed they do Jimmy! They are very hot on bad driving, this is a country were making 'gestures' at another driver results in a stiff fine! And they are generally very 'disciplined' road users, as an example… I was passed near Saarburg in 2000 by two Golf GTi's going at the speed of light… a mile or so up ahead they got it wrong, touched and both spun off… really big off. Everyone braked like hell and came to a stop. Then, the very 'German' bit, the drivers started pulling over to the left and right hand kerbs and stopping, all the occupants trooped over to the hard shoulder, a group a drivers went to help the occupants of the Golfs and another couple of drivers walked down the road telling people what was going on. And all without any Police present! Needless to say very smartly the Polce, a crash team and an Air Ambulance (provided by ADAC, the German AA) turned up along an Autobahn that had been cleared, and all was cleared up and the road reopened within the hour. No rubbernecking or frayed tempers, all very efficient and calm. Could you see this happening over here?
One thing we could do with importing from them is their policy of referring people who they feel are 'bad' drivers to a police psycologist to see if they are fit to be behind the wheel…

Andy

jimmy said:
I have no problem with travelling at speeds in excess of 70 mph, the point I was trying to make is that it is not very safe to do so on UK roads most of the time unless it is the very early hours of the morning with less other cars on the road. UK motorists do not abide to lane discipline thinking it is OK to stay in the middle lane, and I do not feel safe travelling at 90+mph when some doddery old or not so old git is quite likely to pull out in front of you without warning or you get traffic coming to a sudden standstill for no apparent reason.

I think the police should be harder on dangerous drivers, tax dodgers, lane hoggers etc and less hard on easy speeding tickets and then perhaps we could safely raise the speed limit on certain roads.

Yes, I was caught in Texas doing well over 100mph, quite a scary experience being stopped by an armed officer knowing how strict they are over there. Luckily for me the officer was very nice and basically let me off with a strict warning.

And another thing, I am all for re-tests every 5 years or so.

@MercedesLover, I am not having a dig at you. Speed limits are for a reason, yes I exceed the speed limits on open roads and motorways when it is safe to do so and never excessively fast, thats why I have a Road Angel but I never speed in built up areas. I have seen 2 seperate accidents where a person and a young child have died, one on a motorway where the driver was doing about 85mph and somebody pulled out in front of him who was travelling about 65mph, horrific crash was the result as the speeding driver swerved to avoid the car and ended up on the other side of the crash barrier, the car was totally unrecognisable.

The second was a girl driving at 40mph through our 30mph village, a 7 year old boy ran into the road to rescue his pet cat, I will never forget either incident.

Don't want to preach like an old git but it makes you think when you see things like that, if only the bloke on the motorway was only doing 75mph he would still be alive, if the girl in our village was doing 32mph that little boy would still be alive!!
There are many if's for every accidents, but the fact is there are times where on uk motorway, eg M1 is suitable to drive well over 75mph, infact a guy took me for a spin in his 944 turbo 140mph up the M1 I was holding on to the seat and probably wouldn't drive that fast my self. I remmember few years ago in france you would have people driving in to paris on motorways and nationals over 100mph and people would pull straight in front of them. Also i'v had people pull in front of me in france very close at 100+ and sorry to say in summer the dutch were the worst offenders especially on 2 lane motorways with there caravans. So it's not just this country to blame. I think there are many times it's safe to drive 100mph+ on our motorway especially in a good car with good breaks.
An example of stupid driving, I drove to calais from Orleans in central france with the last motorway doing between 100 and 115mph no problem, virtualy empty very nice. Come to calais am on the motorway that passes calais doing 80mph along with about 5 cars guy pulls on goes at angle straight across 3 lanes heading to the front of my car, I slammed on the breaks and steared left towards the barrier and pulled the car straight back in line, I never realised to that day how amazing ABS breaks are, my old car would have skid out of control. ABS can be a life saver

vito113 said:
Then, the very 'German' bit, the drivers started pulling over to the left and right hand kerbs and stopping, all the occupants trooped over to the hard shoulder,

It is a legal requirement in Germany that if you are witness to an accident you MUST give assistance.
Also crossing the road at an intersection where the lights are not with you is an offence,..even if theres no cars coming!

Indeed and quite right too!

Dieselman said:
It is a legal requirement in Germany that if you are witness to an accident you MUST give assistance.
Also crossing the road at an intersection where the lights are not with you is an offence,..even if theres no cars coming!

Indeed and quite right too! but it was a surprise to see for the first time the orderly conduct of the tailed back traffic!

They are VERY hot the German Police on road safety as I found out one sleepy Sunday morning when out for a walk. I was ordered very sternly by A Police Officer to go back to the other side of a pedestrian crossing and wait when I started to cross before the light went green, not a car in sight!

Andy

Last edited:
I have German friends who said that in Germany if there's an accident people like to take pictures has anyone witnessed this?

Saw a thing on French TV last night where they said they are prosecuting motorists for exceeding the speed limit by 5kph in Paris, looks like the zero tolerance is nation wide.
They often have purges like this but usually in August, this one may last so be careful.

Bob

Motard said:
Saw a thing on French TV last night where they said they are prosecuting motorists for exceeding the speed limit by 5kph in Paris, looks like the zero tolerance is nation wide.
They often have purges like this but usually in August, this one may last so be careful.

Bob
Thanks for the warning Bob - have already told hubby to be careful when we come over in August. He's not silly, but if they're looking that close, then it's gonna be essential to be clear about the speed limits which isn;t always easy around Paris.

As you know, we're coming via Dieppe so will hit Paris slightly differently to how we have in the past coming via the west side rather than the east. Be interesting to see where I end up taking us as I navigate. Only got it wrong once in Paris, but boy did it take some putting right:D

Pammy,

You will avoid Paris. It is a straight run down for you. When it gets nearer August I will give you an update on what is happening. There is widespread support from the public at the moment so maybe this crackdown will continue, hope so. Hope they change the law regarding breathalysers also, at the moment, only police of a certain rank can administer them which is really silly.

Bob

Motard said:
Pammy,

You will avoid Paris. It is a straight run down for you. When it gets nearer August I will give you an update on what is happening. There is widespread support from the public at the moment so maybe this crackdown will continue, hope so. Hope they change the law regarding breathalysers also, at the moment, only police of a certain rank can administer them which is really silly.

Bob
Cheers bob - I'd appreciate that

Pam

We are driving down to the south of france (Grasse) in April - on reading this topic I wonder what the safe speed to travel at will be - I was guessing about 85 mph, or 135-140 kph. anyone any tips on journey / route etc ?

thanks,
Jonathon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom