French Motorway Prepay Cards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
Just got this from Eurotunnel :

Did you know, Sanef Tolling, the French motorway operator has now extended its Liber-t automatic toll payment service to UK motorists, allowing you to pre-purchase your tag before you embark on your travels to France.
And, what’s more we have negotiated an exclusive offer just for you. You can now apply for free* and save 50% on the annual fee**.
All you need to do is complete the online registration form at Sanef Tolling’s website,(www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/sanef-tolling/) enter your Eurotunnel Le Shuttle booking reference number or Frequent Traveller number in the promotion code box and the tag will be posted to your home address in time for your departure.
Once the tag has arrived, you simply activate it online, put it in the front window – behind the rear view mirror, and you are ready to go!
Convenient and stress free, this pre-paid toll tag will allow you to breeze past the queues and relax knowing you can reach your destination quicker.It actually couldn’t be any easier!

* This offer is provided by SANEF Tolling and can be withdrawn without notice at any time. Eurotunnel Le Shuttle cannot be responsible for any claims and is not liable for any changes made to the offer. SANEF Tolling terms and conditions apply.
** Subject to French VAT.

Yep I've got one of these. Works very well and you miss out all the queuing. Plus the Mrs can sleep through many peage.

Got one too - it's ok. I never queued before getting one as I used to go through the credit card toll booths...

That said, the fact that you don't stop (just slow down) at the booths, and more importantly, don't wake up your passenger is really quite nice.

Just got this from Eurotunnel :

Did you know, Sanef Tolling, the French motorway operator has now extended its Liber-t automatic toll payment service to UK motorists, allowing you to pre-purchase your tag before you embark on your travels to France.
And, what’s more we have negotiated an exclusive offer just for you. You can now apply for free* and save 50% on the annual fee**.
All you need to do is complete the online registration form at Sanef Tolling’s website,(www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/sanef-tolling/) enter your Eurotunnel Le Shuttle booking reference number or Frequent Traveller number in the promotion code box and the tag will be posted to your home address in time for your departure.
Once the tag has arrived, you simply activate it online, put it in the front window – behind the rear view mirror, and you are ready to go!
Convenient and stress free, this pre-paid toll tag will allow you to breeze past the queues and relax knowing you can reach your destination quicker.It actually couldn’t be any easier!

That linky is coming back as 'inactive'. How do these tags work if you have a caravan on the back sometimes but not always? Heading for Brittany in Aug with the van but will be solo at certain times.

Try this link.

This is weird. I can get it on the Eurotunnel site but then it does the re-direct again?

Anyway, if it still re-directs you, go to offers, then French Motorway Offers/Sanef Tolling.

Good spot by the way OP. :)

No good to me as I always fly over and just hire a car for local (going to work and back) stuff, but a handy time saver for distance travel.

Last edited:
That linky is coming back as 'inactive'. How do these tags work if you have a caravan on the back sometimes but not always? Heading for Brittany in Aug with the van but will be solo at certain times.

Looking at the French sites they have height scanners that detect the caravan and charge the right amount. You do lose some of the advantages as a lot of the express lanes are height limited.

I shall be testing with interest on my Le Mans trip this year, albeit my tag is provided by APRR.FR

I have the Sanef tag and it works really well. Never had to queue without it but as I usually do the run to Italy on my own it really saves a lot of running round the car to pay the tolls. The only drawback is that you really have to slow to a crawl before the gate opens.

As said, they're great.

I need to check if they stay active if not used for 12 months, ready for our next road trip.

I would say its usefulness depends on when you're travelling and how much you'll be using the French motorways. You pay extra for the privilege so have to decide if it's worth it to save a minute or two on a 10 hour journey! (Although the Eurotunnel offer does save €10.) On our European trip last June I didn't have to wait for any more than a few seconds at any Péage so I was pleased I didn't bother with the tag.

The annual cost is minimal; I got a tag because I do drive solo through France and managing the tolls is a major pain. Frankly, the tag is just more convenient even if there are no queues. Toll charges are the same however you pay.

But the downside is that as an infrequent user of various toll roads you don't necessarily know how much you are spending until the direct debit goes out, so possibly not a good option for someone traveling on a budget and rationing out use of motorways (in the way I used to in my impoverished youth).

The annual cost is minimal; I got a tag because I do drive solo through France and managing the tolls is a major pain. Frankly, the tag is just more convenient even if there are no queues. Toll charges are the same however you pay.

But the downside is that as an infrequent user of various toll roads you don't necessarily know how much you are spending until the direct debit goes out, so possibly not a good option for someone traveling on a budget and rationing out use of motorways (in the way I used to in my impoverished youth).

Point well made with regard to driving solo. The tolls cost me a windscreen a good few years ago due to being solo.

Havent been to France in the last two years.

Does this apply to all of their motorways, as I never paid anything there previously?

The auto-routes have been largely tolled for as long as I can remember.

I would say its usefulness depends on when you're travelling and how much you'll be using the French motorways. You pay extra for the privilege so have to decide if it's worth it to save a minute or two on a 10 hour journey! (Although the Eurotunnel offer does save €10.) On our European trip last June I didn't have to wait for any more than a few seconds at any Péage so I was pleased I didn't bother with the tag.

Also depends when you travel - with kids and restricted to school holidays the queues at major peages can be over an hour in some cases. With the tag we've never had to queue, and the time saved at these times is well worth the small monthly fee.

There are occasional toll free sections - for example Calais to Boulogne - but lots of tolled sections! When we went to Le Mans 2 years ago I used the motorway to get there - cost quite a few Eurosovs - but came back on the red road. That was a much more pleasant drive, but beware speed limits!

Just got one of these but I am unsure where to fix it on my 2013 CLS, does anyone know if the MB windscreen is metallic? it says fit to the shaded area but we have sensors and no shaded area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom