French War Cemetaries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

renault12ts

MB Club Veteran
Car
2005 W215 CL500.
This may sound distasteful...but is absolutely not meant to.

We will be arriving in Calais at 10am on Friday morning and travelling to Reims on the A26. What is the best War Grave to visit on that route?

TIA

* Cemeteries

Last edited:
Vimy Ridge near Arras. Two cemeteries, preserved trenches, the spectacular Canadian war memorial and one of the few where you see the objective they fought for (successfully) and splendid views across Northern France.

Thanks C, close to St Nazaire too...probably visit both.

Now...since you're on...what vin yard?:D

Thanks P, I like the idea that each evening I post on here and get suggestions of where to go the next day as we eventually make our way to Pezenas for the 25th.

Thanks C, close to St Nazaire too...probably visit both.

Now...since you're on...what vin yard?:D

I've been to St Nazaire, not the most beautiful town but the submarine bunkers are worth a look if you happen to be there for some reason.

I'm fairly familiar with a lot of France, happy to give you any tips you need.

I've been to St Nazaire, not the most beautiful town but the submarine bunkers are worth a look if you happen to be there for some reason.

I'm fairly familiar with a lot of France, happy to give you any tips you need.

Oops, should have said Ablain St Nazaire...

Don't let the website/Google results put you off; I cannot recommend alliertours enough. Eric (Mudplug.co.uk) is an ex-pat who speaks fluent French and German and has a superb relationship with all the mayors in the region and as such he is permitted access to places normally impossible to reach using the green lane network. He does various tours and will tailor outings to suit…not essential to have a 4x4 as you can go along with him.
The reason I recommend Eric's tours is because he is also an amateur historian so his knowledge on the area is boundless. Having been to a couple of the large, recognised cemeteries, I can say they do raise lots of emotion but I can categorically say that seeing beautifully kept, tiny sites in the middle of nowhere is more impactful in some ways. We encountered many following the route of the Allied tank advance.
He is based in Lesdain, about 130km north of Rheims and has arrangements with a decent local hotel not far from his house.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Oops, should have said Ablain St Nazaire...

Yeah, that one might not have many submarine bases.

Speaking of vineyards, are you planning on travelling down through Burgundy? If so, Beaune is worth a stopover and there is a rather interesting (to petrolheads) Chateaux to visit very nearby.

Are route will probably be Reims, Dijon, Lyon, Marseilles and then head west.

Vimy Ridge near Arras.
+1 for Vimy Ridge.

As you're planning to visit Ablain-Saint-Nazaire (presumably the Museum and Colline?) I'd also recommend the Lochnagar Crater near Albert which is quite astonishing, and also the Thiepval Memorial.

If you want an illustration of the difference twixt the victor and the vanquished, you may also wish to visit the giant German cemetery (the largest in France with more than 44,000 burials) on the D937 just south of Neuville-Saint-Vaast.

I know it is not necessarily on your route, but Oradour-sur-Glane is an eye opener.

As you say, no where near our route...but I am aware of this tragic place. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom