Freshly changed oil this dirty ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steelnads

Car
c63 amg
Driven my c63 10 miles back from a service and the oil seems filthy. My experience of fresh oil changes is its a golden brown colour. The attatched pic is a dab of fresh mobil 1 and the other dab is my "freshly renewed "Mobil 1 oil.

Does this seem right ?I would welcome your opinions. Thanks

Attachments

• service 2 oil change pic.jpg
    service 2 oil change pic.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 152
Pretty much as expected there's always old oil left in galleries etc unless they flush.

Did they drain or syphon out the old oil?

No, it doesn't look right.

Take it back to the dealer who "serviced" the car.

Did they "change" the oil filter as well as the oil?

Does the C63 engine have a saddle sump like the 55k?

Yes they charged for a filter as well. This is my second service (B1) at a the Main dealers and was £450. Surely it should not be that black.

Looks fine to me. The outside has a syrupy colour to it.

Say there's 10% dirty oil left in it, mix that with new oil and it's never going to be out the bottle fresh.

I'm no tech, just my opinion.

looks fine to me. The outside has a syrupy colour to it.

Say there's 10% dirty oil left in it, mix that with new oil and it's never going to be out the bottle fresh.

I'm no tech, just my opinion.

+1.

10 miles is plenty enough to turn the new oil that colour, even using a flush you will still get some after a mile or two.

Are you sure it's not a dab of balsamic vinegar and Olive oil ??

There was a thread on here not that long ago where the op had just got back from having an oil service done at a dealer and oil was black.

I don't know the design of these engines. But I've done oil changes on many cars in the past and the oil still looks pretty much like it did when it comes out the bottle after a few 10 mile drives. I had an oil service done on mine less than 30 miles ago. I might go check mine for colour.

There was a thread on here not that long ago where the op had just got back from having an oil service done at a dealer and oil was black.

I don't know the design of these engines. But I've done oil changes on many cars in the past and the oil still looks pretty much like it did when it comes out the bottle after a few 10 mile drives. I had an oil service done on mine less than 30 miles ago. I might go check mine for colour.

I think the other thread was about s Diesel engine, where oil is known to go black very quickly.

This one is a C63.

Mu car is 27 years old ,and i change engine oil every 6 monthes. Then it wont come out looking like that . If its changed regular it will look so clean, that you can see the dipstick shine . And aother thing to think about is , they dont drain most engine oil out anymore .Its sucked up the the dipstick hole .

Thanks for the comments. last time it was serviced it was an amber colour ...I reckon they have either changed it when the engine was cold and/or they have not got it all out. They also charged me for topping up the washers and that's 3/4 empty so Im wondering how thorough they were. Ill update this when I've seen them in the morning.

It comes as no surprise to me, as you say it may well be that the car was left to cool down and the oil did not drain out properly. I have a friend who always drains the oil himself after the dealer has serviced his car I did question this but can see why as he is going to buy it from his employer later on.
Don't get me started on main dealer costs if I wasn't on the ball I'd have paid an additional £1200+ on top of the £400 plus service for my SL63.

I used to change the oil and filter around every 5,000 in my Sprinter 220CDI (and Vito120 and 210CDI) and especially on the Sprinter, I could check it hundreds of miles later and it wasn't black but more or less the colour of fresh oil, perhaps sometimes a little darker.

I sucked the oil out with a Pela-style pump (same as the main dealers at M-B and BMW but they don't have to hand pump) but would always wait an hour or so and return to pump out what had slid down into the sump and also suck out the oil filter chamber.

The high speed at which the equipment at the main dealer can suck out the oil and perhaps time constraints to get the job finished and possibly not warming the engine sufficiently (more time) before drawing may well mean (as already mentioned) there's 10% or so left in the engine when the fresh oil is added.

My car was serviced by MSL last Saturday and I've probably done 250-300 miles since then. I have been doing loads of work today including cleaning my engine. I opened the oil cap and it looks golden on the underside and all in the cogs inside.

I don't do as many oil changes these days (duff back) but a tip I read about recently made a lot of sense if you want things as clean as possible which was:
After you think all of the oil is out of the engine (pumping or draining) add a litre or so to run through to the sump and then pump/drain again. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom