Friend looking at a CLS350 CDI. Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimboDS

Car
C350 CDI Sport Plus, RX8 replaced by Mazda2 (wife's)
Hi guys,

A good friend of mine is looking to buy a CLS. He's just pinged me this advert for a CSL350 CDI Grand Edition:
Used Cars - 2009 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS350 CDI designo magno platinum

I can give him a bit of information on the engine as I have a 350 CDI lump in my C, albeit the newer version. But I know very little about CLS. Can you offer any advice either on this particular car? Or on CLS buying in general? Things to look out for or thtings you should know before buying. Assume I know nothing (because that's true) ;)

I will get him to do a search for the general CLS buying too. And am encouraging him to join the forum :)

Thanks in advance everyone :thumb:

First thing on that car.

Get the dealer to refurb the alloys. The one on the photo had been kerbed, get them to do tracking too.

No rust to worry about, but do check for stone chips etc or any repairs been on it.

Interior check every electric works, any broken trim.

At that mileage gearbox fluid change should have been carried out. On a test drive when cold and slowing down it jolt when the gearbox changing down to first, but if it still the same when warmed, you need to be a bit wary.

Engine should be smooth.

Also, History, History, History!

The engine spec and performance figures that are given, are for a 320cdi- probably just an error with the MB database, but I'd ask them to confirm, just in case.

I've had mine nearly 9 months now and have no advice- or issues- from personal experience. I love the car, just wish I'd gone for a Grand Edition.

just wish I'd gone for a Grand Edition.
Me too! So reasonably priced now too! :)

Again, my advice would be to very thoroughly check the car's history. A CLS is a very complex machine that needs proper care and attention to give it's best over the coming miles. :)

I didn't check carefully enough and the dealer warranty took a hammering!

For what it's worth however, touch wood, the car is running great now, but it was a trial to get there, luckily not at my expense! So beware!

Hi guys,

A good friend of mine is looking to buy a CLS. He's just pinged me this advert for a CSL350 CDI Grand Edition:
Used Cars - 2009 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS350 CDI designo magno platinum

Since I bought my CLS in Jan 2012, I have looked for a higher specced later car, but not seen a single car I would change mine for ( apart from the occasional CLS 55) and within reason the one you have found is almost there for me.

IMO, and others, you NEED Xenons which it has, the memory function is a nice addition, its a great colour and also has comand.

I would be asking about an extended warranty, provided by the dealer for perhaps two more years after the MB used car one expires, which my dealer (Listers) did for £1000 extra. Consider Gap Insurance, you can get it cheaper than a dealer will offer but its only a few hundred ££'s anyway. A CLS servicing is annual so irrespective of mileage it needs to be done, so its decent value at £36pm, which avoids a big bill, although you can opt in for this at any time. I think the MB Approved scheme is very comprehensive, naturally you don't want a fault with a 'new' car but you will be well covered if faults occur.

Also ask what work has been done to bring it to Approved Used Spec; they will have a printout and gave me a copy for my car. They had replaced all four discs and pads (corroded), both rear springs (corroded), did a full service, all new filters, gearbox oil change and a new MOT after which they rectified all the advisories that included two new tyres. Their internal bill was £1512 exc VAT just for parts, probably £3000 to a customer. And, they had refurbed all 4 wheels, albeit standard alloy, not diamond cut.

This car is a similar age, mileage and price to mine so it could have lots of issues under the skin.

As already mentioned, at least one wheel needs a refurb, unless you really like them, why not ask for a replacement set of new wheels.

Of course all the above applies to any car. The CLS you have found is a nice one, you would struggle to find one with Harmon Kardon and Airmatic (perhaps a blessing) as well as all the kit this one has; believe me I have looked at them all for over a year now. If your friend likes the this car, it seems to be about the right price, and I for one would now have confidence in the MB after sales care if required.

TRACKING - yes, mine was out which I discovered a few months later when the front tyres were unevenly worn. No consideration from the dealer the dealer - 'must have hit some potholes!' they said, which was of course probably correct. The camber on mine was so far out, I bought and had fitted some adjustable camber bolts. Anyway, it should be checked, and ideally you would be given a printout, see the thread in 'Wheels and Tyres' section where I have added pics of the printouts for my car.

Final Edit - Most owners think the CLS is really special, in particular the W219. Its not just an E Class with a different body. Its narrow windows, wider track and the feeling of being wrapped up while at the wheel is really good. It is a special car, as you will see from so many threads on here that revel in its looks and driving style. Only two rears seats though as with all MB Coupes'

Let us know the outcome.

Last edited:
Unless they've taken a big hit in the last couple of months that is very cheap, when I was looking everywhere wanted at least £22k for a similar one, with most around £24k, the fact it says "Now..." implies they've reduced it so had it a while so might be a rough one but might also just mean they're not popular in that area and it's time to shift it.

It's nice too see a Grand Edition that has a few options, they have xenons and COMAND as standard and a lot had no more spent on them. Plenty around without Parktronic even which is essential on a CLS given every extremity is a mystery from the driver's seat thanks to the high dash and slit of a rear window.

effbee's write is all good advice, all I'd add is yes it only has two rear seats which for most people is a bonus BUT they left out the folding backs which the German's usually have on coupés and it wasn't even an option. It's surprising how practical a big saloon is if they do fold and would say that is probably my only disappointment with them.

A Grand Edition has more power - around 275bhp, vs 231bhp.

Some say it's because they run a Brabus chip.

Wow. Thanks for the overwhelming response.

My mate was too slow and the car sold but it will be helpful as his search continues.

Wow. Thanks for the overwhelming response.

My mate was too slow and the car sold but it will be helpful as his search continues.

well we like CLS's on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom