Friendly German airport security man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michaelk3289

Car
2007 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde
Hi everyone, i just had to list this, i was totally gobsmacked as this was happening to me but was able to have a chuckle afterwards,

sorry if this drags on but i will try and set the scene

i was once again on my way to the middle east to start yet another period away from home, my flight from the uk took me to Munich where i would connect to get to my final destination, now i am a well seasoned traveller and have spent nearly all of my 32 years walking through airports (dad worked for British airways) so know my way about.

i stepped foot into the terminal and started looking for directions to connecting flights when a lady said "exit and baggage this way" it just so happened that i THOUGHT the connection flights were the same way which in affect landed me in Germany (i missed an elevator which would take me up to connections level) still thinking i was walking in the right direction i followed the signs which took me straight up to a security check point, what i didnt realise is that one the operators at this check point had seen me walk through that door with the woman give instructions. boy did he tell me what a useless inefficient ENGLISH man i was

for the next few minutes i was subjected to being told that i ignored the signs and asked time and time again WHY DID YOU COME THROUGH THE DOOR, if it had been a security issue i could understand but it just meant i had to go through a check point!!! no big deal, its not like i enjoy going through all that airport security

i was so gobsmacked i just stood there trying to justify why i made a mistake, i just kept saying sorry i missed it, now normally that would be enough for any other nation, but not the germans!!!!!!! the look on this mans face was of complete discugst that i had missed something and made an error!!!!

no wonder German cars are so good if this is how they treat a tourists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know i went on a bit but thought i had to share this little snippet of German life, or should that be expectation!!!!!

Did you smuggle something into or out of Germany then? :rolleyes:

That`s normal in Germany Michael

They don't have a great history of being very welcoming hosts though, do they?

Is that a bit low? :ban:

reminded me of this ......

The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign Speedbird 206.
Speedbird 206: "Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway."
"Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven."
The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.
Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"
Speedbird 206: "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."
Ground (with arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt before?"
Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark...and I didn't land."

at times like that when i have said sorry and they keep going on and on i start speaking irish very loudly and this usually shuts them up no matter what country your in

maybe he was having a off day

im sure its just his way, im sure he meant no harm, it just seemed very blunt at the time, afterwards i had a little chuckle and thought German efficency

lets face it no one makes better cars, maybe its because they set standards so high

I play golf with a couple of germans, very restained and polite until their game starts to go wrong. Boy do they tilt then, it's hard not to laugh swearing in german just sounds like a "Black Adder goes forth" episode.

You offenses his sense of teutonic order, obviously.

Hi everyone, i just had to list this, i was totally gobsmacked as this was happening to me but was able to have a chuckle afterwards,

sorry if this drags on but i will try and set the scene

i was once again on my way to the middle east to start yet another period away from home, my flight from the uk took me to Munich where i would connect to get to my final destination, now i am a well seasoned traveller and have spent nearly all of my 32 years walking through airports (dad worked for British airways) so know my way about.

i stepped foot into the terminal and started looking for directions to connecting flights when a lady said "exit and baggage this way" it just so happened that i THOUGHT the connection flights were the same way which in affect landed me in Germany (i missed an elevator which would take me up to connections level) still thinking i was walking in the right direction i followed the signs which took me straight up to a security check point, what i didnt realise is that one the operators at this check point had seen me walk through that door with the woman give instructions. boy did he tell me what a useless inefficient ENGLISH man i was

for the next few minutes i was subjected to being told that i ignored the signs and asked time and time again WHY DID YOU COME THROUGH THE DOOR, if it had been a security issue i could understand but it just meant i had to go through a check point!!! no big deal, its not like i enjoy going through all that airport security

i was so gobsmacked i just stood there trying to justify why i made a mistake, i just kept saying sorry i missed it, now normally that would be enough for any other nation, but not the germans!!!!!!! the look on this mans face was of complete discugst that i had missed something and made an error!!!!

no wonder German cars are so good if this is how they treat a tourists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know i went on a bit but thought i had to share this little snippet of German life, or should that be expectation!!!!!

You didn't mention the war , did you ?

Anyone else reminded of this?
No?
Just me?
Okay then.

(Good luck.)

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 139
[YOUTUBE]7xnNhzgcWTk[/YOUTUBE]

I upset a German security point briefly once with my backup tape measure. It was a cylindrical object about 15cm in diameter with a raised centre. Looked a bit like a mine on the xray scanner!

I love Munich airport. Clean, efficient, well signed....except when you arrive at the airport terminal from a bus thats collected you from the apron. I can picture EXACTLY where you went wrong and have done so myself. pity the bloke was a bit off with you.

That said they are observant and clearly take their jobs seriously (have not met too many Erics who dont to be honest!)

Some years ago a my brother flew to Munich with a group of 8 friends. The problem was that they only had 7 passports between them. I was given the task of flying out with the 8th pasport the next day.

When they got to the passport check they somehow succeeded in confusing the guy on the desk and managed to get past. Next they got on a coach for Austria and all went well until leaving the German border when the coach was stopped and there was another passport check. This time it was not so easy to confuse the guard.

He wanted to know how they got through the airport and didn't seem to be happy with the answer. Anyway he got a bit aggressive and stormed off the coach and let it continue across the border to the Austrian side. Fortunately the Austrian guard just waved the coach through!

I don't think that the German airport staff are any more efficient than anywhere else, just lacking in humour.

Flying out of New York (JFK) a week after 9/11. I stood patiently in the long queue for security. All was going well, if not a little slowly, but everybody was polite and understanding. That was until the gentleman in front of me announced loudly and in perfect full toff English accent (to the two security guards) that he could not be searched as...."I am a first class passenger" Great mirth from the rest of the queue as he was hauled off to the small curtained off booth for full body search.

Flying out of New York (JFK) a week after 9/11. I stood patiently in the long queue for security. All was going well, if not a little slowly, but everybody was polite and understanding. That was until the gentleman in front of me announced loudly and in perfect full toff English accent (to the two security guards) that he could not be searched as...."I am a first class passenger" Great mirth from the rest of the queue as he was hauled off to the small curtained off booth for full body search.

The moral of this story is don't mess with Homeland Security they aren't renowned for being particularly pleasant!:rolleyes:

A friend of mine was flying with me but we arrived at different times. He is one of the world's most laidback Kiwis, in 10 years I have only ever known him angry once, which was after he met me in departures having just come through security.

He was spitting - as they queued, some Rosa Kleb figure in security had shouted at them to take off their shoes and belts, remove all coins etc and threatened them with detention for a period that would guarantee their flight would be missed if they failed to comply exactly with what they were told. She was just a snarling termagant, and it shocked my friend to the core.

The airport? Heathrow Terminal 5. Give the wrong people some power and inevitably it will be abused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom