From CL55 to...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Kripling

Car
Phaeton W12, Porsche 911 2S
So after finally selling my beloved CL I decided to go for something completely different:

0AoumaQ.jpg

dQdaSZ4.jpg

Dc6oF2w.jpg

I'm ashamed to say it's the first manual I've driven properly since passing my test but luckily everything is coming back quickly. I'm still in the "calibration" phase so haven't got anywhere close to exploring it's limits but it's an absolute delight so far!

The steering doesn't have quite as much "feel" as I was expecting but the way the car manages to move about without ever feeling wayward is really rather enjoyable. I'm looking forward to taking it on a track for some instruction soon...

Thank you! After an AMG it always feels like it's revving too much but I'll get used to it. That said, I think I'll definitely be rejoining the AMG fold at some point - I need more torque in my life :D

Excellent choice the 911. Enjoy.

Looks great - I was looking at 997s recently, they still look new.

Is it an 'S' and does it have the Chrono pack?

Do you know if the cylinder issue has been addressed on it?

You have the best IMO alloys on it, the Crab Claw as they call them.

Very nice I like the clean front looks of the 997 models reminiscent of the early cars. I still have the Turbo S on my list of cars I'd like to own.
Of course you know people will cut you up, refuse to let you out of junctions and generally scowl at you now.

It is indeed a 2S and was lucky to find one which had pretty much all the options ticked - the most important being sports chrono, sports exhaust and adaptive heated seats :D

It's just ticked over 70k miles this weekend and everything feels in excellent condition (a few peeling soft-touch plastics aside). The previous owner had Porsche Guildford take the engine out last year to find an oil leak and they'd replaced pretty much all the pipework while it was out so fingers crossed on that front...

The place I bought it from did a borescope inspection on the cylinders and said there was absolutely nothing to the extent they suspected the left bank had potentially been resleeved at some point. They'd serviced the car for the last three services and said they weren't too worried about the IMS bearing but that if I really wanted it replaced, I should probably wait until a clutch change.

It definitely feels different to any car I've owned previously so there's been no buyers remorse yet!

Congratulations Harry.Great looking Porsche, always loved the 997,enjoy. You will be bringing it to the GTG on the 8th ?

Great car, well done!

Now explain the Transit? Phaeton on the way out?

Congratulations Harry.Great looking Porsche, always loved the 997,enjoy. You will be bringing it to the GTG on the 8th ?
Most certainly!

Great car, well done!

Now explain the Transit? Phaeton on the way out?
The Transit belongs to my mother. She bought it at an auction and then drove it single-handedly down to Marrakech a few times. We dubbed her the Mother Trucker (obviously).

I won't be getting rid of the Phaeton any time soon - there are only about 3 long wheelbase W12s with the four seat option in the UK.

nice car!

997 is 'peak' 911 IMO. modern enough but still analogue and characterful

991 is too accomplished, less 911 (as engine moved towards the rear axle) and digital/aneasthetised

best to get the IMS done .. if it happens while the car is running, new engine or at least massive expense

which dealer was it?

eerrr....I dont recall being notified about the change of brand. who on earth will bring us boxes of Krispy Kremes now :eek:
Natacha...

which dealer was it?
Northway Porsche. They've done the last three services on the thing so I'd have hoped any signs of IMS bearing wear would have been noticed.

eerrr....I dont recall being notified about the change of brand. who on earth will bring us boxes of Krispy Kremes now :eek:
Natacha...
I'm sure I'll drop by now and then with a tray or two ;)

Northway Porsche. They've done the last three services on the thing so I'd have hoped any signs of IMS bearing wear would have been noticed.

I don't think you can see how much IMS wear there is unless you take it out ...

My understanding is that the first symptom tends to be metal particles in the oil filter after the internal seal on the bearing has started to go. Their recommendation was to have it done at the same time as the clutch.

I think late 2004 was the change over so 997s are all MY05 on 54 plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom