From S Class (W221) to CL Class (W216)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hamodi

Car
W221 S320L
Hello to all on this forum :),

I would like some advice from anyone that has experienced driving both the S-W221 and CL-W216 and what their opinions are on the matter?

I own a very low mileage W221 S320L which has been a joy to drive. Worked hard to get one (age 25) at the right spec (AMG, pano sunroof, etc) and was hoping to keep it for at least 5-10 years. Unfortunately due to the ultra low emission zone in London, I am having to prematurely look for an alternative. :eek:

Having a look on auto trader, nothing else quite seems to my taste, build quality, plastic (E class, C class, CLS, etc). Left with a choice of either get a W221 S350/S500 petrol or the CL500. I know, ironically, emissions would rather I own a 5.5L V8 petrol than 3.0L diesel :rolleyes: can't complain

Not much information can be found on the S350 3.5L, advice would be appreciated? Also, noticed that the S500L and the CL500 have the same acceleration 5.4s but the S500L does 0.6mpg more? Not much but I would have thought the coupe would be more fuel efficient!

Many thanks!

Welcome.

I've driven a W221 S500L (at a dealer) and a C216 (W216) CL500BE (owned by me).

They both feel very similar to drive as you would expect sharing the same underpinnings. Both handle incredibly well and belie the size and weight of them respectively.

Horses for courses though. The S is a practical 4 door saloon whereas the CL is a nice looking modern large coupe with limited practicality.

Both well screwed together and I understand a lot more reliable than the predecessors (W220 and C215).

CL is based on the SWB S Class platform. S Class had more SWB options on the pre-facelift and on post-facelift, only the smallest engines could be SWB.

I know nothing about the S350 petrol though other than it's a 6 cylinder.

If you decide on a V8 S Class or go with the CL, the later BlueEfficiency (BE) have a 435BHP twin turbo engine with a lot more torque than the previous 383BHP normally-aspirated unit.

You are looking at a c2010/2011 onward for them and they have BlueEfficiency badges on the wings (on the CL at least) and can "start/stop" in traffic.

Although in reality, the difference between a non-BE and BE is more to do with performance and how well it picks up speed.

I would suggest on the fuel front is if you are considering a S350, then in the real world probably does not do much better economy than the V8 versions. I would certainly not get bogged down with points of MPG and forget what MB have stated the economy is for them - these cars are not great on fuel at all being large, heavy and automatic. Once you accept that, you can enjoy the car for what it is. Bear in mind if you use it in London a lot, most larger cars will be shyte on fuel no matter what you have as you will spend your time accelerating and braking. If you ultimately can't decide and / or don't care which model you buy, get the best one for your budget and check it over thoroughly ideally from an inde if you are not mechnically-minded.

Which one is better is really down to your circumstances and what you want from the car.

My advice is always to try both and make up your own mind as you are presumably going to be the one driving it around.

Thank you, John, for the comprehensive answer.

I do not really need the practicality of the S. Reasons I bought mine were more to do with the build quality, comfort and smoothness which I'm sure the CL also offers. I understand regarding the MPG, my S320L says 24mpg urban but I get 20mpg from the London commute.

The BE is a little out of my budget for the good low mileage (40k) example that I'm looking for. So it will either be a 2008/09 S350, S500 or CL500.

I shall certainly look to test drive all but any more advice from people on here, particularly to do with how the 3.5L V6 and 5.5L V8 engines compare with the 3.0L V6 diesel in terms of reliability, power delivery, etc.

Thanks!

All what John has said. I have had 221 500L since 2008 which i picked it up from the Factory. It's done 156,000 miles. It has been mostly reliable. A couple of Struts,Alternator,Starter Motor and a few other things. Always been serviced on time. A great drive, very comfortable, great engine.

I've had the 216 AMG Bi-Turbo for two years now. Great Grand Tourer. We do European trips every year, 3000 miles or so. Very comfortable, ideal for that kind of motoring.

As John has said Two or four Door, both great cars to drive.

Just read your Post. My only advise would be to stay clear of the Diesel, especially if your main use is in London. Terrible mpg and far more expensive servicing and of course Very Smelly :(:eek: The V6 is a great engine, the difference between the V6 and the V8 is the effortless drive from the V8 compared to the V6, mainly due to the weight of the 221.

Last edited:
Thank you, John, for the comprehensive answer.

I do not really need the practicality of the S. Reasons I bought mine were more to do with the build quality, comfort and smoothness which I'm sure the CL also offers. I understand regarding the MPG, my S320L says 24mpg urban but I get 20mpg from the London commute.

The BE is a little out of my budget for the good low mileage (40k) example that I'm looking for. So it will either be a 2008/09 S350, S500 or CL500.

I shall certainly look to test drive all but any more advice from people on here, particularly to do with how the 3.5L V6 and 5.5L V8 engines compare with the 3.0L V6 diesel in terms of reliability, power delivery, etc.

Thanks!

Ney worries.

I think if you are already getting 24mpg, you are in the right territory cost-wise for a V8. You tend to get a better spec the higher you go which is why I mention them - not to mention the negligible difference in real-world economy.

The performance of the 2010 S500L I drove was fine. It's just a bit less-urgent than the BE but if you waft, it won't matter.

The facelift CL looks best with the AMG bodykit and 20" wheels but I am not sure what you could get on the pre-facelifts. I also think it looks best in black which is handy as most are!

My CL needed a new dash display (£4K @ main dealers) and an ABC pulsation damper (quite common) all done under warranty but otherwise a pillar of reliability.

Feel free to post up any prospective cars - a few of us like picking holes in them where relevant. You never know... might have been owned by someone on here previously!

Thanks guys. I reckon I'll definitely go for the S500L or the CL500, whichever comes sooner in the desired spec.

AMG bodykit, 20" wheels and black are a must for me :D here's a pic of my S320L, hoping to find something similar with the V8!

2wdq1w8.jpg

Will let you guys know when I find any prospective cars. Thanks again :)

And with the V8 AMG Kit you also get Two very nice exhausts :)coming from the rear, unlike the Diesel :eek:

Try and get the light interior, which i have. It really makes the interior seem so much bigger,black is a bit claustrophobic and if you can get the Panoramic roof even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom