From the Ridiculous to the Sublime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Well, sort of.

After just over 5 years of driving E63 Biturbos my ownership comes to an end today due to a change in lifestyle.

It's long been a life plan that neither my wife nor I would be working by the time we're 60 and today also marks the last day on the hamster wheel for us both :banana: :banana: :banana:

No more commuting for either of us means we don't need (not that we ever needed) two looney tunes cars and after due consideration we decided my E63 goes and her SLK55 stays. So what's my next car?

I considered getting a cheap shed, but ultimately decided that I fancied something that we'd be happy to rely upon and that's a nice place to be in, most likely a mid-size premium hatch. Although I'm more than happy to drive a diesel, in the current political climate I wanted a petrol engine but I wasn't looking for a performance car as we have the SLK55 for that (oh, and my bike too :)). As I'm not fond of the "domestic appliance" cars from Toyota and others and no fan of the 1-Series either, I've been looking mostly at mid-spec VAG products including the Octavia, Golf, A3 and SEAT Leon. So after much research and a few viewings, I've ended up with...

(drum roll)

A month-old W177 A220 AMG Line Premium :p

Took it out for a drive yesterday and was very impressed. It's streets ahead of the W176 which I've had previously as courtesy cars and had ruled out for being pretty uninspiring in all but A45 guise. Exterior-wise I think it looks pretty sharp, but it's in the interior and technology that it stands head and shoulders above the competition - and pretty much all of the MB range above it too. While some of the materials are clearly much cheaper than those used higher up in the Mercedes range, the general feeling of the car is of a proper baby-Benz at last, and I collect it today. I'll add more thoughts after a while living with it :thumb:

Join the club and Happy retirement :D

Enjoy ya retirement, both of you :) and not a bad make do car you've got there :rolleyes::D

I'll add more thoughts after a while living with it

+ Lots of photo's and spec ;) As I had no idea what the latest A Class looked like, I checked it out. So different from the original A, great technology and very spacious. Enjoy.

noooooooo-why-god.jpg

Only joking. Enjoy the A-Class Phil. I had my eyes on a A45 a couple of weeks back but went with a S600 instead. Sublime, as you say ;)

What a coincidence.
Today is my last day at work too, after 49 years. (Started work at 15 in 1970)

Enjoy your retirement and new car:thumb::thumb:

Good one, Ted.

Actually, although my last day of employment is today, I booked two days holiday so I finished last Friday :D

Hope you enjoy your retirement too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy. Somehow think that the K1600 will certainly "scratch the missing itch".

Cannot comment within the "for sales" section but just to let you know .......good to see realistic pricing, first thing that struck me when ad originally placed.

I've recently downsized and don't regret it, a hatchback will carry more bulky items than my old saloons would.

Retirement seems a long way off, however, I have managed to restructure work so that my working hours are greatly reduced. That's the main reason that I have been able to post here much more over the last 4 years, bet you are all chuffed about that!

Great day and a great car. Enjoy!:) The other car and the 2 wheeled car should keep you amused.
I'm fortunate that I never had a hamster wheel to get off, mine were always very high performance wheels...but my wife will retire next year and we look like finding somewhere back in the Far East (Norfolk?!) to settle down.

Within a few weeks you will wonder how you ever found the time to work:cool: How long can a motorcycle trip go on for?

Congrats to those on their last day. I'm not retiring, but hoping to cut down my hours in the near future. My replacement has been recruited and started yesterday, once he's got his feet under the table I'll be going down a couple of days a week. 2 on 5 off (as opposed to the other way round) has a nice ring to it..

Cheers,

Gaz

Enjoy your retirement, it’s the best thing I’ve ever did going early. You’ll wonder how you ever had time to go to work.

I am nine years behind you, but on exactly the same path, fingers crossed

That's a proper heavy bike though....

I just commented to Mrs Edd1968 that everyone seems to be retiring - and I'm just starting out on a new career. Did I do something wrong? ;)
For those who are and those who already have, enjoy your free time. :)
And enjoy your A220. Mrs Edd1968's daughter has one and it's very smart.

Congrats on your retirement. The new A-class does look nice, not driven one myself only sat in one in the showroom.

I knew you were old but didn’t realise you were *that* old Phil :D

Congratulations though pal, sounds like you’ve got plenty of things lined up to keep you busy in your retirement - a lot of the other old codgers on here remark that, once retired, they didn’t know how they used to have time for work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom