Front ABS Sensor failure mayhem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussJ

Car
Mercedes SL63 2013
I managed to kerb the front nearside wheel on my SL while manoeuvring at a petrol station.
Only superficial damage I thought at the time but a few miles later the dash lit up with warning lights.
No ABS, Lane Assist or Blind Spot warning and it won't close the roof ("going too fast" message).
Tried the usual "switch off, lock and leave for 10 minutes but no joy - still getting the error messages.
My diagnostics suggest the ABS sensor has failed.
Checked with Mercedes and a new one is surprisingly cheap at £20ish.
If replacing it fixes everything I'll be a very happy bunny but is it likely that all the errors are down to just this sensor?

Russ

Well, to answer my own question, yes, a duff ABS sensor can cause all these fault messages. Fitted the new one in about 30 minutes but it took several attempts with Xentry to clear all the stored errors. All fixed now and car running well.

Russ, well done and thanks for coming back to us....despite the fact that we were no help at all :D . Pretty mad really , the bump was at walking pace and all this happened !!

One thing I discovered when looking at the Xentry fault log was that ABS faults had been occurring for some time but went away of their own accord. I guess that my minor bump was the last straw - or perhaps it was just a coincidence...

Would a non star diagnostic machine give the location of a faulty abs sensor? E.g a snap on diagnostic machine?

Would a non star diagnostic machine give the location of a faulty abs sensor? E.g a snap on diagnostic machine?

Yes, but only of it can read MB-Specific ECUs. A generic OBDII scanner won't be able to access the ABS/ESP ECU.

iCarsoft MB v2 or v3, Carly for Mercdes, or Autel with the MB module will all read ABS faults, these are sub-£200 scanners.

Also, professional garage tools from Launch, Snap-on, and Delphi, can read ABS faults but the cost will be beyond the budget of a DIY hobist.

Genuine STAR is obviously best.

Yes, but only of it can read MB-Specific ECUs. A generic OBDII scanner won't be able to access the ABS/ESP ECU.

iCarsoft MB v2 or v3, Carly for Mercdes, or Autel with the MB module will all read ABS faults, these are sub-£200 scanners.

Also, professional garage tools from Launch, Snap-on, and Delphi, can read ABS faults but the cost will be beyond the budget of a DIY hobist.

Genuine STAR is obviously best.
I'm thinking of taking the car to a local garage who use a snap on machine, I just need to know which exact wheel speed sensor is giving me the abs/esp warning lights.. I've only just recently fitted a new sensor on the front nearside! I'm hoping it's now offside that needs changing..

I'm thinking of taking the car to a local garage who use a snap on machine, I just need to know which exact wheel speed sensor is giving me the abs/esp warning lights.. I've only just recently fitted a new sensor on the front nearside! I'm hoping it's now offside that needs changing..
More than likely if my experience is typical; the offside failed within a few weeks of the nearside.

Yes, the front ones often fail around the same time. When one failed on mine, I replaced both immediately.

So had the abs scanned with a snap on machine and stated front left sensor again! Probably going to get both front bearings/abs rings changed with a new front right sensor also..

So had the abs scanned with a snap on machine and stated front left sensor again! Probably going to get both front bearings/abs rings changed with a new front right sensor also..
Not sure if you have ABS rings on yours or not, but on the wife's B200 it wasn't the sensor it was the magnetic encoder bearing in the front left hub that had failed, rather than just have the bearing replaced I changed the complete hub/knuckle.

Not sure if you have ABS rings on yours or not, but on the wife's B200 it wasn't the sensor it was the magnetic encoder bearing in the front left hub that had failed, rather than just have the bearing replaced I changed the complete hub/knuckle.
Definitely has abs rings as I have 2005 w211

W/S204 is the same: reluctor ring in the wheel bearing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom