Front and rear license plate holders for W208 - please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi all,

I'm after front and rear license plate holders for my W208 CLK, please.

I'd like them to be detachable, and also for the plates themselves to be easily changed. I am unsure if the Mercedes ones allow this, does anyone know?

If not, any other recommendations would be great. I saw the links to recent ones for sale on eBay, however I'm not a fan of the "BRABUS" wording...seeing as my current isn't one.

Many thanks,
Ross

go to merc.... i paid £10 for the pair! you can change the plates over as often as you want as you just un-do the clips and take out ur plate put new one in and clip it back up!... they are ficked onto the car by screws..... dunno if thats any good....
i find it convinient as i change my numberplates over a lot due to spacing of ma plates loll

Hi all,

I'm after front and rear license plate holders for my W208 CLK, please.

I'd like them to be detachable, and also for the plates themselves to be easily changed. I am unsure if the Mercedes ones allow this, does anyone know?

If not, any other recommendations would be great. I saw the links to recent ones for sale on eBay, however I'm not a fan of the "BRABUS" wording...seeing as my current isn't one.

Many thanks,
Ross

You can get just MB and the star logo ones on ebay, easily removed and plates interchangeable in about 20 secs. Saw them when I got the ones for SWMBO Audi, which just has the 4 rings logo on . Great idea for switching showplates back to the legal ones ;)

See HERE or search under " Mercedes number plate holder"

MB milton keynes do them, give them a call, im sure they will post them out to you!

MB milton keynes do them, give them a call, im sure they will post them out to you!
indeed they do :D! they are my local and regular lol! they fitted them for free for me aswel whilst the car was being MOT'd couple yrs back

Is the front mounting plate angled though? I bought a pair of them from eBay, the back one is fine but the front one won't fit because it needs to be slightly angled.

I just ended up using the sticky pads to fix the front.

Is the front mounting plate angled though? I bought a pair of them from eBay, the back one is fine but the front one won't fit because it needs to be slightly angled.

I just ended up using the sticky pads to fix the front.

it bends, so not a problem and the plate surround clips the plate in.

Thanks guys.

Just spoke to MB Milton Keynes, holders cost £18, which is fine, however, postage would cost £10. So I think it rules them out.

Might have go with the eBay route. Flanaia, do you have these ones? Just wondering if how they attach to the car and if they are flimsy - they seem pretty decent.

EDIT: The bend is of course an issue as well.

Many thanks all.

Thanks guys.

Just spoke to MB Milton Keynes, holders cost £18, which is fine, however, postage would cost £10. So I think it rules them out.

Might have go with the eBay route. Flanaia, do you have these ones? Just wondering if how they attach to the car and if they are flimsy - they seem pretty decent.

Many thanks all.

i cant believe they said £18 plus £10 p+p.... i only paid a tenner for both.. but then ii know half the people that work there too...

I've got the standard MB (IIRC made by WURTH) plate holders on my CLK, and they fit perfectly as you'd expect.

They're made of a bendable plastic and they simply screw into the standard fixing locations (the plate holders are pre-drilled). Then you just clip the number plates straight into the frame - simple!

Far better than drilling the plates, which lets water in and causes them to de-laminate. And easier to fit/swap than the sticky pads - you can get these dead straight first time and less chance of the front plate pinging off as they sometimes do with the sticky pads once the plastic tries to straighten itself after fitting.

Some old pics here from my gallery showing how they look/fit on the front of the CLK (AMG bumper, but I suspect very similar angle)

DSC05452.jpg

DSC05456.jpg

If you don't have a MB parts dealer nearby, try these places online (much cheaper - identical WURTH holders):

German Wurth Lockable Black Frame - Number Plate Accessories

or here?

Zodiac Sales Promotions - Number Plate Holders

HTH :)

Will

Thanks guys.

. Flanaia, do you have these ones? Just wondering if how they attach to the car and if they are flimsy - they seem pretty decent.

Many thanks all.

The bend is not an issue on the Audi as there isn't one but they mount by 2x screws through the plate holder into the original mounting points. The plastic is quite flexible so the bend on a CLK should not be a problem, they also have mounting springs and clips so the plate doesn't rattle

Many thanks all.

I'm contacting Zodiac to see if they will supply me just two, if not the other link Will provided or the eBay auction Flanaia linked to.

Thanks guys...and Will that is a seriously clean car you have there. Looks perfect.

Thanks guys.

Many thanks all.

Outrageous.

R2D2 very kindly gave me a MB Kundencenter Sindelfingen Reg Holder. When we got the CL i wanted the same holder. I found the number of the" Boutique" where R2 bought it from in Sindelfingen and phoned them, spoke to a delightful lady, explained i had been there to pick up my S-Class and wondered if they still did them, she said yes and would i like one or two, so of course i said two. I asked her how much and she said absolutely no charge Sir, well i think i fell off my chair, can't remember as i was in a daze.

Three days later it arrived packed as if it was the Crown Jewels now that is what i call Customer Service, the cost of postage was 23 Euros, i don't know how much the holders where and Milton Keynes want to charge £ 10 just for postage, amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get on with this Ross?

In the past I was given these holders FOC when I had plates made up at my local dealer. If they are no longer FOC or not available I may buy another pair for the 190E at some point.

Great price from Zodiac but they deal in larger quantities - perhaps a group buy on here if people are interested?

Will

Hey Will i will be needing a new pair of holders soon so im up for it.

I've gotta get some of these!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom