Front bumper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sparkyme24

Car
Mercedes 2015 saloon bluetec
W205 Mercedes c class 2015

the front bumper seems quite low. At times when the car is going over a higher speed bump on the road. The front bumper underneath is touching the road and is getting scratched!! Any ideas

Attachments

• 1B74CD25-919D-4027-A7C6-3CAFAF916193.jpeg
    1B74CD25-919D-4027-A7C6-3CAFAF916193.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 16CFA0E5-3CE2-4414-969E-64800E7770FB.jpeg
    16CFA0E5-3CE2-4414-969E-64800E7770FB.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 5
How long have you had the car? Has it always done this? The bodywork looks normal to me, as in it hasn't slumped or doesn't need the bumper aligning.
I'm currently having my 18" alloys refurbed, and the company has loaned my some 16" E-Class alloys (a genuine size). The first thing I thought when I saw it off the jack was 'crikey, that's low', so I have crept over every speed bump since.
I'm not intentionally making a stupid suggestion, and suspension failures aside (cracked springs seem to be common on the front of Mercs), could you go up an alloy size? If half an inch would make all the difference, maybe it's worth thinking about? I guess it depends how long you will keep the car, funds, and if anything else can be found.
Maybe take it for a suspension inspection?

Do I dare ask if it has airmatic suspension (was that even a thing on c-class W205?)

W205 Mercedes c class 2015

the front bumper seems quite low. At times when the car is going over a higher speed bump on the road. The front bumper underneath is touching the road and is getting scratched!! Any ideas
Angle grinder 😊

How long have you had the car? Has it always done this? The bodywork looks normal to me, as in it hasn't slumped or doesn't need the bumper aligning.
I'm currently having my 18" alloys refurbed, and the company has loaned my some 16" E-Class alloys (a genuine size). The first thing I thought when I saw it off the jack was 'crikey, that's low', so I have crept over every speed bump since.
I'm not intentionally making a stupid suggestion, and suspension failures aside (cracked springs seem to be common on the front of Mercs), could you go up an alloy size? If half an inch would make all the difference, maybe it's worth thinking about? I guess it depends how long you will keep the car, funds, and if anything else can be found.
Maybe take it for a suspension inspection?

Do I dare ask if it has airmatic suspension (was that even a thing on c-class W205?)
If you change the rolling radius , by changing wheel size and not compensating with tyre aspect ratio , then the speedometer will no longer read correctly and this can be both illegal and an MOT failure .

Ah, good point Pontoneer! Hadn't considered that :doh:
Although there must be some 'wiggle room' due to the different alloy and wheel sizes that come as standard and options on Mercs? Or is the speedo etc recalibrated in the factory depending on the delivery options?

My W212 can have 652mm tyre+wheel diameter (245/45R17) up to 661mm tyre+wheel diameter (18/255R40). Only 1.4% difference in rolling radius though and this would only gain 5mm ride height.

OP. Maybe get the suspension inspected for naff shocks or broken springs? I have nothing else. Good luck 👍

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom