Front bumper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMG888

Car
W205 C220d AMG Line Auto
Hi,

I have just brought a W205 C220 AMG Line and being driving for several weeks now. On speed humps (in 30 mph area), going on 25mph without pressing the brake, I seem to hear the front bumper being scratched. This always spoils the driving experience. I am not too worried about the scratches but worried that when the bumper hits the ground at speed that it will damage the internal structural frame such as the safety reinforcement (i.e crash bar etc.) or bent some kind of metal. The same worries occur when parking a car straight or reverse parking into parallel parking and into /over high curb.

Do car manufactures such as MB have protection for their saloon or cars to prevent structural damage when the front/rear bumper hits the ground/ hump/ side of the curb / going over the curb?

Apologies this is long but it is my first saloon car, thanks in advance.:)

Never had an issue with my shooting brake, and Liverpool has got some quite horrendous speed humps, as for kerbs ive never hit 1 or tried to go up 1 😄

Hi and welcome. That sounds a bit odd, it's hardly a ground hugging Lamborghini you are driving. It does of course depend on the design of the speed humps you are driving over .What car did you own before this one ? if it was a Range Rover then you might be surprised at how low your C220 is in comparison.

I can fly over speed humps driving my wife's old Vauxhall Zafira going at speeds that would rattle my teeth or rip the rear differential cooling fins off my C55 if I attempted them at the same velocity.

Hi and welcome. That sounds a bit odd, it's hardly a ground hugging Lamborghini you are driving. It does of course depend on the design of the speed humps you are driving over .What car did you own before this one ? if it was a Range Rover then you might be surprised at how low your C220 is in comparison.

I can fly over speed humps driving my wife's old Vauxhall Zafira going at speeds that would rattle my teeth or rip the rear differential cooling fins off my C55 if I attempted them at the same velocity.
Hi Pete, thank you for your message. I had an Audi A3 before. I wanted to know whether any manufactures such as MB will make a bumper that when hitting the ground or curb will press against the crash bar or any internal structure of the car and cause damage?

Not sure about your car but underneath the lower part of the bumper bar is nothing but fresh air , this area is where a lot of diesel cars might have the intercooler, but not applicable on my car. I would have to smash the bottom off my front bumper before anything 'important' took a hit.

I would say that taking most of the speed bumps around here at 25 would catch the underside of mine (220 Sport) and almost certainly so would the back, where I have a towbar. Maybe ease over them a little more slowly?

One other thought...if you car wasn't bought new, has it been lowered by a previous owner?

Ernie

The front crash bar is around the height of the number plate/parking sensors. The only damage you’ll cause by scraping on speed bumps in the manner you are will purely be cosmetic.

The front crash bar is around the height of the number plate/parking sensors. The only damage you’ll cause by scraping on speed bumps in the manner you are will purely be cosmetic.
Thank you for your reply. Ah I see, I used to think that the bumper will press against the crash bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom