Front camera after windscreen replaced.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bits

Car
W213
Hi,

Not sure if electrical is the best area to post in or interior?
Anyway, my windscreen was replaced yesterday, camera calibrated etc, however I noticed the usual red triangle that warns of front proximity to another vehicle seemed less sensitive, today following a long drive away for the holiday I heard a rattling from the rear view area, unclipped the cover to find the camera hanging down at the front as per the attached (apologies not in good focus but can see front 'peg' hanging).

I pulled the unit back out of the 2 rear lugs and put the 'peg' above the thin metal spring plate above it as this seemed the only place for it.

My questions are.....

Does this peg just sit on top of that metal strip, seems almost like a bit is missing that would have a hole for that peg?

Is it likely that it will need recalibration again now, either by my simply pulling back to RE seat it or more likely if it was calibrated whilst not seated at the front correctly? Or is it actually supposed to not be attached at the front? Have looked high and low online but can't find any images of an in situ that matches my camera and YouTube videos all show totally different camera units and therefore mountings.

Hope someone can help put my mind at rest as cannot get to speak to merc or windscreen Co for few days and meantime don't want to risk damage to cam whilst driving.

Thanks in advance for any possible insights if anyone knows what it looks like in a w213 2017.

Attachments

• 20211224_151414.jpg
    20211224_151414.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20211224_172847.jpg
    20211224_172847.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
I'll give a push up for this, cannot help more than that. WIS is vague on this detail, I guess assuming it is obvious while explaining other much more obvious details.

Do I understand right that after the windshield repair, the peg was not secured with the metal strip as in your photo? You were able to install the camera properly, securing the unit with the metal strip? Aiming of the camera would change significantly and re-calibration would be needed (if the camera was calibrated when it was not properly attached). I did not check but most likely needs to be done with the diagnosis tool.

Yep that's about it, just seemed an odd design to have the round metal peg just sit on top of an extremely thin metal strip, as though something might be attached to the strip that cam peg then goes in...

My suspicion is the calibration was done in the incorrect position although the peg may have been just on the strip then come off during the drive but if so it was still not fully pushed home to allow that to happen...

Suppose it would be deemed as obvious had it been seen previously which of course I didn't, hence hoping someone here might have seen under their cover previously just to confirm the above strip positioning.

Hopefully someone that has seen under that cover is bored enough to be on here today as well :)
Thanks for the bump/reply, merry Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom