Front coil spring failure W211 E280 Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reamer

Car
SLK250 CDI AMG SPORT 2014
Had a nice surprise waiting for me this morning! I went out last night in the car and parked up on return as normal. This has happened over night whilst stationary.

I think I've been very luck as if it had gone when I was driving; it could have been a whole lot worse!

I quick call to MB Chester. In stock (yellow yellow yellow green) £51+VAT each.IMG_2191.jpg

Same thing happened to my CLS , there must be someone going around in the middle of the night breaking them as it is a very common fault.

Kenny

Would hate to think it had gone whilst driving!

Would hate to think it had gone whilst driving!

If they had fitted the springs the other way round then it would have only dropped slightly , the internal diameter of the spring is larger than the spring seat meaning that once the tighter lower coil snaps off then the whole spring can drop right down over the strut - genius idea.

Kenny

That is exactly what has happened. Not good given the rate of failure.

Every one I’ve heard of has always gone whilst stationary. Has anyone had one go whilst on the move?? Always replace in pairs too.

A college of mine in his bmw. Front nearside went. Lost control but regained it. Ripped into his tyre and damaged his alloy.

My W203 broke a front spring going around a roundabout. There was just a clatter as it hit the underside of the car. I walked back up the road and found a bit of spring but I was not sure if I had not just run over it.
When I was back at home I measured the wheel-arch heights and they were the same left to right. I jacked the front and could feel the jagged edge where it was broken and that was the only way I could tell......

I found a broken spring on my W211 last week as I serviced my brakes. Luckily it broke in the centre of the spring and only dropped by one coil. Only the pressure in the spring was holding it together by friction alone. I have no idea how long I was driving like that for. Lucky! A doddle to change though.
0aaf5b3d959b6663e704c158a5872ea9.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom