Front disks (C Class Estate)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wish

Had a new set of front discs fitted to my C Class 4400 miles ago. The dealer has just called me to say that it will needs another set now as these too have given vibration through the pedal ???

4000 a set of disc's this cant be right.

I have a vibration from the rear of the car, this is the second time its been in for this problem. The first time it went in I then took it to my local quick fit to have them balanced, there was nothing wrong with them !!!
Now today they tell me its down to the wheel balance again and for them to take it any further i would need to pay them £45 to balance the two rear wheels.

My First and last mercedes ............

I would ask for a free set if they've only lasted 4400 miles, clearly a manufacturing problem or something there. I know they're consumables but they still have to last a reasonable length of time/number of miles.

The front discs on my C270 lasted 25,000. The rears were still original at 45,000.

There is a problem. Don't accept flannel from the dealer. Get a second opinion.

The dealer have said they are going to be replaced FOC.
But are saying that the rear problem is due to the wheel balance..... and want £45 to balance the friggin wheels. I cant take the car else where like i did last time. As the tyres need to be warm when balanced
They told me this last time and the tyre centre round the courner said that the balance was perfect.

I've never heard that wheels have to be warm to be balanced. And I can't see what differecne it would make - will the tyre/wheel get heavier/lighter when it's warm? I doubt it.

OK, there might be a slight theoretical difference, but that would surely be so slight that, a few miles down the road, with less rubber on the tyre, the wheel would have to be balanced again!

You could try swapping wheels front/rear, even if they are different widths it would be enough to simply find out if it's the wheels causing the problem.

jeremytaylor said:
I've never heard that wheels have to be warm to be balanced. And I can't see what differecne it would make - will the tyre/wheel get heavier/lighter when it's warm? I doubt it.

OK, there might be a slight theoretical difference, but that would surely be so slight that, a few miles down the road, with less rubber on the tyre, the wheel would have to be balanced again!

It could be in order to eliminate a flat-spot on the tyre that has arisen from having stood overnight. I notice on mine a slight vibration at 30mph in the first mile or two, but not after that. I assume this is because of cold tyres, as soon as they warm up a bit the flat spot is gone and so is the vibration.

Or maybe my transmission is about to fall out?:eek:

Erm, got me worried now, both front and rear disks have 42,000 on them.

Anyway, I've never heard that tyres need to be warm when balanced, every tyre I've ever had fitted has been balanced cold. If temp is going to make a singificant difference then we would need to have them balanced every winter/summer.. can then only imagine what a difference tyre wear would make. Plus, I've been into the Michelin garage at a couple of F1 practice days in the last year, and watched the tyres being balanced when stone cold....and they go round pretty quickly & one hell of a lot hotter......

jonm said:
Erm, got me worried now, both front and rear disks have 42,000 on them.
As a rough rule of thumb, the discs on my W202 require replacing following every two to three sets of replacement (original) pads.

Your mileage may vary depending on the "hardness" of the pads you use.

Also my front pads requires replacing twice as often as the rears, therefore my rear discs and pads tends to lasts twice as long as my front discs and pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom