Front drivers side bearing exploded at 80MPH!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paragon1970

Car
Mercedes 2008 e280 | Audi TT
I think I have had enough of Mercedes cars.
2008 Mercedes E280.

Headed off for our annual camping vacation to the South of France on Friday.
Caught the Dover to Calais ferry and headed off down the autoroute at 80MPH / 130KPH reached Reims 2.5 hours in. The car felt great.

Passed a vehicle in the slower lane when I heard what sounded like a bottle cap tapping down the motorway, I actually cursed the driver, to myself, in the vehicle I passed thinking they had thrown something out of the widow.

Car had no indication of trouble and was planning on stopping for a rest break at next service station 10 kilometres further when five kilometres later an almighty bang occurred and the vehicle pulled violently across lanes, managed to steady it and bring to controlled stop on hard shoulder but this could have been disaster if there had been any other vehicle beside or near us at the time.

Checked the front wheel and instantly noticed the plastic hub cap and inner metal cap was missing, so pretty sure that was what popped off under pressure 5k back and there was a flame burning from inside the hub presume grease caught fire due to extreme friction.

The car was MOT'd two days prior to leaving and no issue was picked up.
There was no indication of pending failure, in the past I have had vehicles were bearings could be heard when they are failing.
So we are now back in the UK, two nights hotel, 5 very expensive taxi rides and two hire cars later one of which nearly 3 hours to hire, which was longer than it took to drive back to Calais! We cancelled holiday as injured back in the process and have no idea when car will be fixed. AA European breakdown are dealing with it.

Did make it to garage the following day just before closing to pick up some clean clothes and gain an update. Noticed grinder on the floor along with gas torch next to car so knew there was a bigger issue than straight forward bearing replacement.
Mechanic advised that at least a new stub axle was required and maybe a hub but that brake calipers and disk seemed ok but who knows. Waiting for an update from AA on Monday (tomorrow)

Have more to this story which I will share in time but will hold off for now depending on how events turn out.

In all my years of motoring I have never experienced such an event and I have driven some old dogs in my time, my confidence in Mercedes quality is at a very low ebb, in my mind I would not have expected such a failure on vehicle from such a prestige brand.

Cheers.

Last edited:
2008? the car is 8 years old! Not bad going if its the original wheel bearing? I'd have thought though as you rightly said it would have been picked up on the Mot.

I had a Volvo front wheel bearing do exactly the same thing, Car was a similar age.

The only thing that would have been picked up at MOT was a loose bearing cap...but who checks those.

Sorry to hear about your trouble, and glad no one was hurt.

As for the front wheel bearing.... it's a bearing.... all cars have them, not just MB.... I can't see why this would be an indictment of MB cars.

it would be interesting though if the make of the failed bearing could be identified, and also if it could be confirmed to be an original MB bearing (ie. it may have been replaced in the past?).

Said that, this is just out of interest, keeping in mind that another part's failure might have led to the bearing's failure.

No bearing will survive if there is no grease...why did the cap come off should be the first question.

Thanks for your replies.
Oh really, I thought the MOT centre would do a wheel wobble test ie grabbing the wheel and feeling for play or at the very least rotate the wheel to feel for friction. In the past I had a failure determined by this method though it was many years ago on a Ford Cortina Mk4 Gear.

True I have no idea whether the bearing have been replaced in the past, I have owned the car for nigh two years now and they have not been replaced in my time.

Regarding the wheel caps. Both the outer plastic Mercedes badge cap that spring clips to the wheel itself and the inner cap that retains the grease came off around five kilometres prior to wheel bearing exploding. I suspect the inner grease retaining cap blew off with some force due to pressure build up caused by excessive heat which in turn popped off the outer wheel hub cap!? That's the only explanation I have right now, but I am no expert on these matters.

Please note I am not blaming the MOT centre in anyway its more the fact that if they did not pick this issue up then how could I, the Mercedes Indi did not pick up any indication a month or two earlier when I specifically asked them to check all wheels when they were diagnosing a knocking issue.

So a little more to the story, sometime ago I had a knocking noise on the other front wheel / suspension when going over small bumps.

The component could not be identified so I purchase a number of components to cover the issue, new drop link, top and lower ball joints, new set of wheel bearings and a sachs strut back in March.

Mechanic systematically started changing components and the issue was resolved, it turned out to be a faulty strut this left me with the spare new bearing and a lower balljoint unused.

Traveled to France for a sking trip mid march with no dramas.

When this current issue occurred I mentioned to the mechanic that I had a spare bearing that I had left in the car along with ball joint as a precaution I mean why not right, thinking it could speed up the repair process due to delays in sourcing components, this turned out to be a mistake as this was relayed back to AA by mechanic whereby I received a call explaining that I was no longer covered since it appeared I knew there was an issue with wheel bearing prior to setting out.
I do get why they would possibly think this but after explaining the situation and the fact that the car had passed an MOT and had also been checked over by Mercedes indi prior to leaving they finally agreed to honour their obligation though it took over three hours of pulling ones hair out waiting.

Once that was sorted I would say they did manage to get us home though this was not without pain and incident.

Hopefully I will find out more today as I also took out the option £500 parts and labour.

Will keep you all posted.

Last edited:
They do a wheel wobble test...but, until the grease cap fell off your bearing may have been first class.

The only thing that would have been picked up at MOT was a loose bearing cap...but who checks those.

Ironically that's one thing they can't pick up on, because they're not allowed to take the wheel off.

They would conduct a wobble test, but the wheel bearing can fail for reasons other than being loose - usually without warning which is exactly what appears to have happened here.

What brand could you buy where the is less chance of a wheel bearing failure?

I've known it happen on overtightened bearings, overheat on a long run, grease goes molten, and pow. I don't think a loose bearing (as long as it had some grease) would fail like this.

I've never had a wheel bearing failure in 45 years of driving. Quality taper roller wheel bearings should last the life of the car regardless of mileage if properly adjusted and lubricated.

Surely MB can't be using cheap bearings. There are many quality bearing manufacturers even some of the Chinese ones but SKF or FAG would be a very safe bet.

Timken are deemed the king of Western taper roller bearings but MB are likely to have chosen FAG or SKF from a European procurement perspective. All of them make a good taper bearing. Catastrophic failure is rare unless part of the cage or raceway disintegrated from a material irregularity. If it had been poorly fitted it would have given up way before now.
At least no one was hurt.

Thank you for all your replies Folks.

As stated the good news is no one was injured so gladly at most we are only talking about material things.

My initial negative feeling toward Mercedes is really down to the experience I have experienced with this vehicle over the time of my ownership and much of it is venting frustration.

When this model car works it is hands down the best car I have ever driven, I love it, but due to a number of issues my confidence has sadly waned and that is the worse feeling to feel at its minimum it takes the enjoyment out of driving at its worst one feels reluctant to take on journeys that otherwise one would not think twice about.

On my web investigations I found a post that indicates this catastrophic bearing failure appears to be rather common on this marque.
DESTROYED W211 front wheel bearing - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

What along with the other common issues highlight with regards to variable vane turbo issues, turbo actuators issues, inlet port motor failures, torque converter failures ad generally weak front suspension design as compared to previous models it does beg the question of quality and longevity of these models in my opinion as compared to the previous models that were built like tanks and went on for over 500K miles.

I just feel the type of problems mentioned above should not occur on these later models and its very sad that they seem rather common.

Mercedes hold a premium secondhand market value based on perceived quality and historic reliability and I am no longer entirely convinced that holds true for these later models, I truly wish it did as mentioned when the car is working as designed it is a joy to drive and I love the refinement.

Update:
While typing received a call from AA with quote of repair, ~1100 euros of which AA will pay ~600 euros towards parts and labour leaving a 500 euro cost to yours truly so could be a lot worse off financially. So bravo to AA Europe.

Kind Regards.
S

After my CL left me stranded twice within the space of six weeks, I know how you currently feel about having lost a bit of faith in your car.

Since it's got nearly 130,000 miles on it I was toying with the idea of shifting it on before anything else begins to go wrong. However, now that it's working I've largely forgiven it and have decided that having to feed a few wodges of cash to it every so often is a small price to pay for what's a very enjoyable car (and less than if I'd bought something new on finance...)

Hopefully you'll be able to forgive your Merc too :D

....I thought the MOT centre would do a wheel wobble test ie grabbing the wheel and feeling for play or at the very least rotate the wheel to feel for friction....

From memory the car is not actually jacked up in the air - I think they just inspect the underside and suspension, but don't remember them lifting the car so that wheels are hanging - not sure if rocking the wheel test works when the car's weight is on the wheel?

Technically all front wheel taper roller bearings should be adjusted with a dial gauge. The "standard " method using the tighten up till it binds and then back it off is simply not accurate enough to set the end float . I would surmise your bearing failure was due to incorrect clearance or the use of substandard product- this may not be the fault of the garage who fitted them- lots of inferior counterfeit stuff out there from the Far East.
AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - How to Adjust Wheel Bearings

To be honest, if Mercedes were relatively trouble free, we would have nothing to talk about on these forums.

German cars nowadays are highly over rated, and come with many costly ssues that you never get in a Jap.

Welcome to the world of modern Mercedes ownership :(:(

To be honest, if Mercedes were relatively trouble free, we would have nothing to talk about on these forums.

German cars nowadays are highly over rated, and come with many costly ssues that you never get in a Jap.

Go on then...name that car forum where people do not moan about their cars.

You are joking I agree on MB but not all German marques. Just pop over to the GTR or Honda R forums full of issues you never see on a German car

While I wouldn't go along with all that this guy advocates the video gives a good idea of the layout of the front hub of a W211. Its also worth reading the comments.
[YOUTUBE HD]j_Pu5BNUX5I[/YOUTUBE HD]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom