Front end creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenQ

Car
2004 W220 S320 CDI
Car ia a year 2000 W220 S500

I'm getting the common creaking sound comming from the front offside of the car. This happens when I press down on the front wing over the drivers side front wheel and can be heard when driving and turning the steering wheel when stationary. The strange thing is that this sound comes and goes, one day it will creak like mad and another day it will be gone.

I have paid a local Mercedes indi to diagnose the noise but they report that all is well, no failed ball joints etc. They have also lubricated some rubber bushes but the noise is still present.......sometimes!!!!!

They also say that the car would pass an MOT right now.

Can anyone suggest anything else that might produce this intermittant noise.? :wallbash:

Same thing is happening to me on the C Class - drives me crazy - but there is no logic as to when it happens or doesn't.
Was looked recently and advice was WD40 on suspension bushes and shocks too.

I had to replace both rear hydraulic shocks on my SL because the lower bushes were creaking, nothing else wrong with them, just the noise.

I had to replace both rear hydraulic shocks on my SL because the lower bushes were creaking, nothing else wrong with them, just the noise.

Although the sound does appear to be coming from the front, today when I filled up with LPG the car started creaking like mad, but then why do I hear a creaking when I turn the steering wheel if the creaking is from the rear.

Could the extra weight of a full tank of LPG in the rear start the creaking that seems to come from the front offside :confused:

I wasn't suggesting the noise was coming from the rear on your car, just that bushes do creak, they get dust and dirt inside them and sometimes you have to replace them to get rid of the noise. Some bushes are replaceable but others like mine were not, hence replacing the whole shock.

It could be the top mount on the front suspension that will just creak when its cold as the rubber will be harder. You say it comes and goes and is not consistent..do you notice whether it is cold or warm or if it only does it on cold mornings etc?

It could be the top mount on the front suspension that will just creak when its cold as the rubber will be harder. You say it comes and goes and is not consistent..do you notice whether it is cold or warm or if it only does it on cold mornings etc?

It can do it at any time but I did notice it today more after I had filled up with LPG (more weight in the rear)

My old C class creaked like a squeaky pram and no amount of lubrication to all the suspension bushes made any difference. My local indy while moting the car said that while my bottom swivel joint were all OK he had known them to squeak like this ....... so I changed them, job done!

Almost certainly an "ARTHRITIC" ball joint somewhere. If your MB indi is a "good un" and says they aren't worn - live with it.

I dont understand why they dont just put a scope on it? We do it all the time, it takes minutes to find the culprit!

I dont understand why they dont just put a scope on it? We do it all the time, it takes minutes to find the culprit!

what sort of scope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom