Front fog lights on individually???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trando

Car
C63 AMG
I put my car in the garage every night. When I take it out in the morning the headlights come on but quite often only one front foglight comes on and I am struggling to work out why. I know they both work because when I turn them on as fog lights for real, they both work. Is there some connection with the fog lights and parktronic?

Any insight welcome.........

Does your car have cornering lights? The way they work on my SLK is that if you indicate while the headlights are on (and you're travelling below a certain speed), the foglight on the side you're indicating towards will come on and, I think, the beam rotates in that direction. This can look very odd to independent observers, and my neighbour actually pointed out to me once that only one of my foglamps was working (with a look on his face that suggested he couldn't see why I had them on in the first place...).

Having said that, I can't imagine you'd be using your indicators when entering your garage. :dk:

That's bizarre. As you say i don't use my indicators when I'm coming out of the garage..........

Hi, you don't have to indicate, the fog light on the side to which you turn the steering wheel will turn on if you drive below a certain speed just to provide more light on cornering. There's nothing wrong with your car.

Hi, you don't have to indicate, the fog light on the side to which you turn the steering wheel will turn on if you drive below a certain speed just to provide more light on cornering. There's nothing wrong with your car.

Hmm, interesting. They must have revised how the system works since my car was built in late 2004. From my handbook:

Cornering light

The cornering light provides better illumination of the road ahead when you are travelling around corners.

Switching on the cornering light
  • Switch on the turn signal
  • When you operate the turn signal switch, the front foglamp on that side of the vehicle comes on and illuminates the road into the direction of the turn.
Switching off the cornering light
  • Switch off the turn signal
  • The foglamp on the turn side of the vehicle is switched off.
The cornering light function is switched off when you exceed 25mph (40km/h).

It may be a model variation?

On my 203 the cornering function works at speeds below 40kph, either by indicating or turning the steering past ~15deg.

Also the lamp that lights changes when in reverse i.e. the outer fog illuminates.

I found out just recently that the function is disabled if the ambient light level is above a set level i.e. the auto lights are on but the cornering fogs will not activate.

Very clever :cool:

It may be a model variation?

On my 203 the cornering function works at speeds below 40kph, either by indicating or turning the steering past ~15deg.

Also the lamp that lights changes when in reverse i.e. the outer fog illuminates.

I found out just recently that the function is disabled if the ambient light level is above a set level i.e. the auto lights are on but the cornering fogs will not activate.

Very clever :cool:
mate, how did u get cornering lights on ur 203?? my old dears got a W203 C220 CDI and its not got cornering lights :dk:

It has to be STAR coded and it's not driver selectable, so can only be enable or disable via STAR coding.

Contact Alfie via PM here or at Comand (Europe) Ltd - Great Deals on Mercedes Comand & Retrofitting Installations He will be able to say the car is suitable for this coding.

To get the best result you should also change the fog lights for the correct type, these throw the beam much more into the corners but it will work with the standard fogs

It has to be STAR coded and it's not driver selectable, so can only be enable or disable via STAR coding.

Contact Alfie via PM here or at Comand (Europe) Ltd - Great Deals on Mercedes Comand & Retrofitting Installations He will be able to say the car is suitable for this coding.

To get the best result you should also change the fog lights for the correct type, these throw the beam much more into the corners but it will work with the standard fogs
thanks mate! sounds wkd :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom