front leccy windows in C class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CHRIS STARKEY

Car
E250CDI '12, 300SL '90, E320CDi '01 estate, C250 '96 estate. c180 estate, 300CE24 coupe, 200E estate
Hi all - can anyone please help?
The front electric windows on our 1998 C180 estate are playing games with us.
If we take the fuses out & then put them back (under the bonnet) one of the front windows works and likewise with the other window if we change the fuse in the boot (ours is an estate)
So they both work fine for a couple of days - until one stops working - then the other does the same!
Anyone any ideas?
Please??
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris

I had this problem with my 202 windows as well.

Check the fuse holders and make sure they are really clean with no oxidisation at all,also check your connections to the fuses and make sure they have not worked worked loose.

If you had connection problems (IE shorts) you would blow the fuses or if the windows were binding in some way it would cause an overload and blow the fuses.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

Norman

Last edited:
Confused still !!

Thanks Norman,
I have tried putting new fuses in & have checked the wiring to the holders.
I agree that it doesn't seem like the motors etc as like you say the fuses would blow but they dont !
I think it must be something to do with the dreaded ECU. I had a lot of trouble with the electrics when the car got flooded (see earlier thread!)

Then I found the one touch open/close on the front windows wouldn't work - but found that can be fixed by just using remote to open/close all the windows or even just holding button down on the switch. Doing theither of those makes the one touch up & down work again - so there must be something that controlls the programming which is playing up. Neither one touch or normal operation won't open/close the front windows once they have stopped working!
Does anyone know if the ECU has anything to do with these blessed front windows?
Many thanks
Chris

Hi Chris

When I had my window problems I changed the switch module but it did not cure it, main stealer told me ECU controlls them as well but don't take that as read because it may be incorrect.

Thare are a lot of good guys on this (the best forum) who will put you right regards that, an afterthought have you checked your batteries in the remote because yours will be the DAS3 the same as mine and if the batteries are on the way out they can cause all sorts of problems

Good luck with it

Norman

Last edited:
Hi Chris

The windows are controlled by the ECU,I know this for a fact now because if you disconnect the battery everything has to be reset including the windows.

In my manual it says to run the windows all the way down keeping hold of the key fob and then do the same thing and take them all the way up,when the windows have gone all the way up hold it for 2 seconds.

This then resets the windows to auto shut with one press of the switch.

Hope this helps

Good luck
Norman

More problems !!

Oh dear!
The central locking stopped working again.
Press the button on the remote & NOTHING!
Had to break in again - luckily still had the wire from last time.
Got in, disconnected battery for 2 hours - reconnected it & HEY PRESTO everything worked (after resetting the front windows)
Great I thought - now I've reset the ECU everything is fine. I even took the tailgate lock out to free it in case I had to get in again - no luck however, after spending a whole day trying to freeit I gave up & refitted it.

BUT (did you guess there was a but coming?) after a couple of days the front windows have stopped working again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am now going to try & get the ECU read to see if there is a fault registered.
Oh well !
Merry Christmas everyone anyway

Cheers
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom