Front mats wont stay put

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W145user

Car
A209 CLK Convertible and W204 C Class Estate
Does anyone else have this problem or a solution.

My A209 CLK front mats, clip onto the retaining clips but refuse to stay there, after I've been in and out of the car they come off and the mat moves and eventually starts going out of shape.

I replaced them with a new set (not MB original) and they have the same problem :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Regards

Graham

Whoops thought I posted this in 'Interior' not 'Bodywork'

2nd senior moment of the day.

If a moderator would kindly move to correct section, I would be grateful.

Thank you

Yes I have that problem with aftermarket mats in the wifes sl. Although the clips look the same they are nowhere near as tight as oem.

Double sided carpet tape or sticky backed hook velcro on the the back of the mat

I have the same issue with aftermarket mats in my SL, I wonder if MB have designed the fixing studs to be slightly smaller than standard so that we have to buy OEM mats to get the perfect fit. It wouldn't surprise me.

My Audi has aftermarket mats and there is no issue with them coming loose.

Some Velcro would probably sort this out easily.

Glad it's not just me.

Frustrated though, as it's never happened on our non Merc cars with mats.

Velcro it's going to be then.

Thanks for your help.

Graham

self tapping screws:D

If I used self tapping screws I can guarantee that on screwing through the floor I would either pierce a fuel or brake pipe.

This is based on previous experiences in the house when screwing or nailing through water pipes :D:D:D

If I used self tapping screws I can guarantee that on screwing through the floor I would either pierce a fuel or brake pipe.

This is based on previous experiences in the house when screwing or nailing through water pipes :D:D:D

Screw them through the plastic rivets/popper studs :cool:

Throw the over mats away & just wear out the front carpet. 99.99% of cars end up at the scrapyard with perfect front carpets.

Can always cover them in over mats once they’re worn anyway :doh: :D

Throw the over mats away & just wear out the front carpet. 99.99% of cars end up at the scrapyard with perfect front carpets.

Sometimes the best answer is staring you in the face and you don't see it. :):)

So true but I think the main reason for using over-mats is the ease of cleaning. Much easier to remove than the carpets! :D

Does anyone else have this problem or a solution.

My A209 CLK front mats, clip onto the retaining clips but refuse to stay there, after I've been in and out of the car they come off and the mat moves and eventually starts going out of shape.

I replaced them with a new set (not MB original) and they have the same problem :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Regards

Graham
Although more expensive, always go with OEM. They will fit much better than aftermarket.

Screw them through the plastic rivets/popper studs :cool:

I’ve just done this on my SL as the mats kept moving around, especially on the drivers side.

Choose a nice flat headed self tapper just long enough to pass through the plastic clip on the mat and into the receptor ( popper stud ) in the floor.
When valeting it’s a simple job to unscrew the self tapper just enough to release the mat from the receptor.

Anyone remember those square rubber mats with hundreds of rubbery nipples on them?

I used to pull the nipples off and load them up into my air pistol to shoot the girls ****s on their way to school in the 70s, wasn't so funny when Julie from next door grabbed my gun and shot me in the face after school, I had a lead pellet in at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom