Front Right Malfunction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Calumneale7

Car
Mercedes A180d Sport Premium
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help, I have a 65 plate Mercedes A180d Sport Premium which has a light & a warning that pops up on dash intermittently.

The light will be off for weeks then all of a sudden pop up multiple times a day for 30 seconds at a time then disappear for a couple weeks again.

The auto stop start also flicks on and off when this light pops up.

I have taken the car into Mercedes as they thought it could be the drivers airbag which there was a recall on but even they couldn’t find the fault. They changed the airbag as part of the recall but the light still pops up ever so often.

I’ve been to 2 other mechanics and no error codes show when they run a diagnostic.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Attachments

• 88E5DF3D-877F-486C-ABAB-FCED14F1A4DC.jpeg
    88E5DF3D-877F-486C-ABAB-FCED14F1A4DC.jpeg
    765.5 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to the forum .Mercedes Benz and 2 other mechanics couldn't find the problem ??? o_O This is serious stuff . The safety circuit seems to have a major fault that might kill you. The airbags/restraint system might not work in a collision or the airbag could just blow up in your face and cause an accident.

Stop driving the car.

Is it possible the loom was damaged during the original recall? Other than that it could be a fault with the SRS module. Have you had it plugged into diagnostics? The module should store the fault code in its historical memory.

Welcome as above many drivers thankfully never see a airbag going off it has to be a very dangerous thing when it could just happen, take it back to the MB with that up on the dash and say fix this car.

Because the light is intermittent it never seems to want to come on when I take it in so it appears like the car has no problems & no faults are being stored....

Welcome to the forum .Mercedes Benz and 2 other mechanics couldn't find the problem ??? o_O This is serious stuff . The safety circuit seems to have a major fault that might kill you. The airbags/restraint system might not work in a collision or the airbag could just blow up in your face and cause an accident.

Stop driving the car.
Is it really this serious? Can it not just be a faulty sensor? I’ve seen a lot about sensors in Seats and lose connections...

not really sure what to do, if Mercedes couldn’t find the fault then not sure where I go from here

Because the light is intermittent it never seems to want to come on when I take it in so it appears like the car has no problems & no faults are being stored....
There will always be faults stored, even for intermittent 'glitches'.
When scanned by STAR there will be current and historic codes. There will be a count as to the number of times the fault was triggered.
Get it read by a competent indie, with an official STAR account.

Diagnostics should give you a fault code and some guidance. Personally I would start there. Check out my posts/pics. I know the w169 pretty well 👍

Diagnostics should give you a fault code and some guidance. Personally I would start there. Check out my posts/pics. I know the w169 pretty well 👍
Buy yourself a icarsoft diagnostics unit. Either MB V2.0 or the pro unit. Well worth the investment. Mine has paid me back ten fold....

Is it possible the loom was damaged during the original recall? Other than that it could be a fault with the SRS module. Have you had it plugged into diagnostics? The module should store the fault code in its historical memory.
Bach , re read post #1 Mercedes Benz and TWO other mechanics can't find the fault.....apparently.

Am the only one on here who reads that the OP took this car to Mercedes Benz who 'could not find the fault'...? 🤷‍♂️ and a further 2 more mechanics had the same result when fault finding .

Asking the OP to get the codes read ? it would appear that has been done a few times. OP , stop driving it and get it back to an MB dealership...a different one than the first one. Or a good indi.
Is it really this serious? Can it not just be a faulty sensor? I’ve seen a lot about sensors in Seats and lose connections...

not really sure what to do, if Mercedes couldn’t find the fault then not sure where I go from here
I have had an air bag go off in my face (in fact 4 of the 5 in the car went off) You want it to happen in a accident but believe me you do not want it to happen when you are just driving along minding your own business. The chances are very very slim as the system will fail 'un safe' and give you a warning on the dashboard....you have been given your warning.

Codes are always stored for srs faults
Get it to another mb dealer and let them know what you been experiencing. To me sounds like you have a wiring problem maybe the contact pins have poor contact. Also make sure that the plug under drivers seat is good 👍 also seen some seat wiring harness rub through inside the seat frame so as you are sitting in the seat moving causes the wiring to rub and puts the light on

Am the only one on here who reads that the OP took this car to Mercedes Benz who 'could not find the fault'...? 🤷‍♂️ and a further 2 more mechanics had the same result when fault finding .

Asking the OP to get the codes read ? it would appear that has been done a few times. OP , stop driving it and get it back to an MB dealership...a different one than the first one. Or a good indi.

I have had an air bag go off in my face (in fact 4 of the 5 in the car went off) You want it to happen in a accident but believe me you do not want it to happen when you are just driving along minding your own business. The chances are very very slim as the system will fail 'un safe' and give you a warning on the dashboard....you have been given your warning.
I read the first post. It makes no difference how many meredes/mechanics is been taken to. The fault exists and it has a cause. Lots of places have no interest, if the diagnostics doesn't give them the answer their not bothered in delving any further.

Ps don't be so negative

It is very likely to be the seat recognition pad. The A-Class seems to suffer more than most.

Is the car RHD or LHD?

Hi! Same issue here - been on going since I bought the car nearly 2 years ago. Had airbags replaced, etc.
It’s accompanied with auto start flickering and occasional seatbelt unplugged dings.
Any conclusion to what the problem was? Mercedes can’t find the fault!

It's the drivers side safety belt receiver. There was a break in the loom causing autostart to go on and off as well as front right malfunction message and red light.

It's the drivers side safety belt receiver. There was a break in the loom causing autostart to go on and off as well as front right malfunction message and red light.
Thanks!
Yup - exact same problem. Replaced the safety belt sensor and seems to be resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom