Front Screen Washers Frozen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JerryC200Cdi

Hi all

Is it common on W203's in this very cold weather we are having for the front windscreen washers to be frozen solid even after driving for an hour?

I have put in premixed concentrate screen wash yet despite letting the engine warm up on tickover for a while, spraying de-icer into the spray jets and driving to work, the washers refuse to spray onto the windscreen.

Once I arrive at work and leave the car standing for an hour or so they then seem to spray OK. But come 5.30pm when it's time to leave work it's 50/50 whether they will work again if the temperature is really cold.

Do other W203 diesels have the same problem? Any suggested cures or remedies for this problem?

What temperature is your screenwash rated to?

I bet it's not the -30 C stuff, in which case, you are using the wrong screenwash for the conditions.

Probably not rated to that - I assume the -30C stuff you refer to is thegenuine MB pink stuff?

Sounds like you may need to increase screenwash concentration or switch brands. Given that you mention spraying de-icer on the nozzle I assume there was no visible ice on the outside of the nozzle?

Today I used my car for the first time for a week or so, and had to add more concentrate - previously I'd set to concentration for -4 deg C, and adjusted to -8 deg C. I think I need to up it some more as I hear it may get colder still.

If you use MB pink screenwash you need to add winter blue additive (which is what I do) - the pink stuff on it's own won't protect against freezing. Half a bottle (500ml) of blue will cover you to -8 deg C.

Alternatively MB sell an all-in-one winter additive (no pink required) which the dealer used at the last service. Not sure what temperature that goes down to though.

My 202 is pretty hopeless - but that might be because I'm using some cheap screen wash that came from a closing down sale. That said, it wasn't much better last year, checked the heated jets then and they have volts and correct resistance. I was planning to move the washer pipe over the summer so it runs inside the bulkhead and gets some engine heat (currently it runs along the back edge of the bonnet - so doesn't get any engine bay heat as it's behnid the bulkhead seal), but didn;t get around to that.:wallbash::wallbash:

Today was particularly bad -7.5 on the way to work and -4.5 on the way home. Washed the windscreen at work in the car park and didn't touch it after that (gave it a wipe down by hand once at home as well).

Recently I've been using Halfords double concentration screen wash mix. It's rated to -23 C. This morning it was -5 and the washers worked straight away.

The real test will be next month when I'll be in the Highlands, where it's been -15 C at times.

And if you have a W203 estate, be prepared for problems with the tailgate wash - there are 3 push connections, blue plastic pipe into rubber pipe, secured with tiewraps. One in the rear offside cubbyhole is easy to see, one directly behind the tailgate wiper is not too bad to get at by removing the interior tailgate trim. The other is up behind the glove box - you can see it by removing the kickplate under the glove box, but getting it back together is a nightmare / impossible - see my thread re this!

I use MB screen wash and have had no problems at all (it was -11c last night).

I have heated washer nozzles (not the optional heated system) but with the correct conc the fluid doesn't freeze.

You need to get your conc correct and IMHO use MB for best results (and no risk of corroding the nozzles)

And if you have a W203 estate, be prepared for problems with the tailgate wash - there are 3 push connections, blue plastic pipe into rubber pipe, secured with tiewraps. One in the rear offside cubbyhole is easy to see, one directly behind the tailgate wiper is not too bad to get at by removing the interior tailgate trim. The other is up behind the glove box - you can see it by removing the kickplate under the glove box, but getting it back together is a nightmare / impossible - see my thread re this!

I have a problem since the rear washer froze on my W210 estate a couple of weeks ago (http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/80626-w210-rear-washer-woes.html). There is a funny plug in the pipe just past the last connection in the boot and it won't seal any more.

Has anybody seen this before or got a solution?

Halfords pink stuff minus 6 seems to be okay so far.

Lynall

My 202 is pretty hopeless - but that might be because I'm using some cheap screen wash that came from a closing down sale. That said, it wasn't much better last year, checked the heated jets then and they have volts and correct resistance. I was planning to move the washer pipe over the summer so it runs inside the bulkhead and gets some engine heat (currently it runs along the back edge of the bonnet - so doesn't get any engine bay heat as it's behnid the bulkhead seal), but didn;t get around to that.:wallbash::wallbash:

Today was particularly bad -7.5 on the way to work and -4.5 on the way home. Washed the windscreen at work in the car park and didn't touch it after that (gave it a wipe down by hand once at home as well).

Mine has no trouble after about 5mins or so, once the engine heat is getting through the metal. (tested up to -4, with cheap screenwash).

My last 203 used to do the same, using the proper stuff from MB as well. Maybe 10+ hours at -5 or so took its toll on the jets and lines?

Should have said wifes 203 has no bother with her 203 on the blue screenwash.

Have you tried draining all of the old stuff out and refilling with new undiluted?

Lynall

Quick update - it's happened 3 times now where I am basically without washers until I get to work which ain't good on a 38 mile trip. I've flushed out all the old washer fluid and put 2 x bottles of proper MB blue screenwash in and kept dilution as little as possible under these current cold conditions. Hopefully will see if that improves things now that the MB stuff is all in the washer pipes etc.

My 2001 ,203 ,Shell BLUE STUFF no problems at all.

Common problem at this time of the year.
If you use stuff that's rated for the conditions, you will be OK.
When my brother drove over for Christmas from Prague his washer bottle was filled with stuff rated to minus 40 degrees.
His car was also fitted with snow tyres, which are mandatory where he lives.
It's a case of "Horses for courses".
We're just not used to these conditions in the UK.

Are you getting power to the heated nozzles?

Lynall

My GF used stuff rated to -6 but hers froze up repeatedly during a 1hr trip on the A12. I presumed this was due to the ambient -2 temp with an extra -5 (-10, who knows?) of windchill at speeds of 60-70mph?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom