Front Spring Failure W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomnewo

51 E220 CDI Estate Classic

Just received a call from the wife saying that she had heard an almighty bang whilst negotiating a roundabout (thankfully) was travelling only yesterday at 70mph on the M6 :rock:,I have been to the "scene" and have recovered my from o/s side spring and what appears to be a rubberised holder :eek: unbeliavable having just bought a replacemet front subframe to replace the rusted one (and have not had it fitted yet) there appears to be yet another problem and a scary one to boot.
I have done some research and have discovered that this seems to be a known problem (another one)so I am bloody fuming :mad:

Can anybody give me the lowdown on parts,recommended repairers,likely costs etc please ?

Thanks in advance.

Springs break regularly on 210s. I've replaced both my fronts.

Springs are cheap. It cost me £40 to have them fitted.

Thanks Renault but I neglected to mention that the spring seems to be complete to me suggesting that the holder has failed...I could be wrong though.

Ah your talking about the spring mount, common failure with the W210. Had two replaced.

1. e430 98 £450 (required a Merc repair kit entire area rusted off)
2. e320 cdi 2002 covered under Merc 8 yr warranty

I'd recommend the repair kit the mount is already mounted on the metal plate that is used to cover the area of the body.

Repair costs about £150 supplied and fitted.

Wow the repair kit alone cost me 150 rest was labour due to the inner rebuild.

Ok..thanks guys.

Just rang the nearest MD and the kit (cup and some sort of bearing) are £32 each so will do both sides...now to find a body shop that can do it ?? I take it placement of the cup is straightforward ?? and I imagine it will need tracking / alignment ?

Cheers.

As long as the suspension height remains the same there is no other setup to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom