Front springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gadget1960

Car
Suzuki GSXR 1000
OK , so I have a broken front suspension spring on my (51) w210 e240, I have sourced a new pair of standard springs (as I think they're best replaced in pairs) ready to get fitted, however ... am I right in thinking that the Avanteguard has slightly lower springs than the Elegance? if so I have the option of returning the springs and replacing them with the lowered version.
Also ... are the Avanteguard springs a straight swap for the Elegance springs or are they different in some way ?
I'm not into lowering it to silly levels as I don't want any clearance issues for when I fit my AMG 18's but wouldn't mind a bit of a drop and if they are fully compatible i'll change the rears too.
Can anyone shed some light on this? :thumb:

Yes, a straight swap.
AG are a bit lower, I'd guess 30 -40 mm but google will confirm.
I am taking a set off mine soon which are too low for me, I think they're either cheap non-originals or spec'd for a petrol.

There are so many variations even for the avantgarde model. Dealers use the Vin and options specced on the vehicle against a table/spreadsheet to find the correct springs using a points system. If you want this information let me know I'll dig it out

Many thanks for the replies peeps, not entirely sure how low I want the car yet as I haven't had the chance to fit my 18's to get an idea of clearance.
I thought swapping the fronts for Avanteguard would be a 'no hassle mod' and give me a reasonable and noticeable drop but as always ... it's not as easy as that with the 'options' lists for springs / height / rate / from MB.
More research is needed together with a trial fitting of the new wheels me thinks to get some idea of whats needed.
Cheers to all replies, much appreciated.
ps bob6600... the link to the chassis numbers for spring codes would be great.
And to a111r ... do you have any pics of your car with the low springs fitted? :thumb:

Sure, pm me your email and I'll send them tonight, together with the centre of wheel to wheel arch lip dimension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom