Front springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Hi All,
I want to check the front spring on one side of my car as tyre on that side is looking chewed up on both inner and outer edge. Looking for hints and tips on how to visibly inspect. Car is 14 plate E250 AMG styling
Thanks

What makes you think the spring is the cause , if it is broken then ride height will be lower and the car will be pulling to that particular side.

Normally inner + outer tyre wear ,at the same time, is caused by under inflation.

Either way if you fancy a look , jack the car up so the suspension is at full extension and remove the wheel and have a butchers.

K

Possibly tyre issue , part worn ,weakened side walls or incorrect size ?

What makes you think the spring is the cause , if it is broken then ride height will be lower and the car will be pulling to that particular side.

Normally inner + outer tyre wear ,at the same time, is caused by under inflation.

Either way if you fancy a look , jack the car up so the suspension is at full extension and remove the wheel and have a butchers.

K
Thanks I'm just ruling things out as I've got chunking on inner and outer edge on that side. Could be the tyre itself as Goodyear are known for it or could be some suspension components

Full geometry check with a Hunter alignment machine would be first on my list,
The wife’s B200 used to chew front tyres until I had it checked, now they wear nicely even.

Full geometry check with a Hunter alignment machine would be first on my list,
The wife’s B200 used to chew front tyres until I had it checked, now they wear nicely even.
Was it both inner and outer edges?

Was it both inner and outer edges?
I think both, but more so on the inside. The MOT man asked me if I have a flint drive as the cuts looks so vicious.
Another tyre fitter said it was due to using runflats, he suggested higher pressures, in the end a check and adjust with a Hunter alignment put it all back to normal. The front wheels were miles out, the previous owner must have used the kerbs as guides.
304E2659-AEE9-47BC-8E20-A201F071E12D.jpeg

I think both, but more so on the inside. The MOT man asked me if I have a flint drive as the cuts looks so vicious.
Another tyre fitter said it was due to using runflats, he suggested higher pressures, in the end a check and adjust with a Hunter alignment put it all back to normal. The front wheels were miles out, the previous owner must have used the kerbs as guides.
View attachment 130605
Thanks for this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom