Front subframe overhaul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasputin

Further to some considerations for subframe refurbishment procedures, I had decided to overhaul completely the front subframe on my 107 450SLC 5.0.
One of the key subjects referred to by members on other forums, is how to support the engine during subframe removal and reinstallation. Some of the ideas given by members were quite ingenious in constructing a rig or support bar, coming up with some clever designs. I have however, not having welding experience, resorted to using a pair of 2 x5 meter x 25mm two-part Heavy Duty Ratchet Tie Down Straps made of 100% Polyester webbing. Minimum breaking strength: 800kg max. with claw hooks as per pick (though mine were yellow colour) and they are more than capable to lift an engine.

HEAVYDUTYSTRAP.jpg

HEAVYDUTYSTRAP1.jpg

This is the state the subframe came out…….

subframerusty.jpg

This is the new state it went back in….

subframerebuilt.jpg

The subframe was wholly overhauled, sandblasted, resprayed, with new springs& pads, upper arms, wheel bearings, rotors, pads, balljoints, subframe mounts, motor mounts, suspension bushes, sway bar bushes & links, etc, etc. And all with the assistance of a very nice Welsh lady who helped no end with lowering and reinstalling the subframe, and actively participating at every stage of the job.

I just unbolted the engine support bracket bolt from the motor mounts once the engine was jacked up and pushed aside the motor shock absorber with its bracket, removed the heat shields from the mounts and reinserted the bolt back on its bracket to serve as a stop for the straps around the engine bracket. The straps were hooked on the edge of the chassis at each side of the engine shock as per pics and wrapped around the exhaust manifold for further support. Supported the engine beautifully while the subframe was removed. Used the floor jack to further support the engine until the subframe was ready for reinstallation.
Below, a few pics of the different stages of the operation.

strapsonchasis2.jpg

strapsonengine.jpg

strapsonexhaust.jpg

subframepainted.jpg

subframearms-1.jpg

subframearms1-1.jpg

subframemounts.jpg

subframesprings-1.jpg

straponbracket.jpg

strapsonbacket1.jpg

strapsonchasis.jpg

strapsonchasis1.jpg

strapsonengine-1.jpg

strapsonexhaust.jpg

Havin the “C” press for the ball joints and the right spring compressor made to job rather easy.

Great post thanks. That's been on my 'to do' list for a year or two now. Maybe I'll get some inspiration when the nights are getting longer again.

A, great job
B, dont let that woman escape:D

Lynall

Well done for working in a garage with 'a minimum of space' :D

Yeah....how on earth did you manage to do this job in such a confined space ?????:eek::eek::eek:

Well Done :):)

Great post thanks. That's been on my 'to do' list for a year or two now. Maybe I'll get some inspiration when the nights are getting longer again.

Thanks Druk, bout would recommend you do it during day time!:dk:

A, great job
B, dont let that woman escape:D
Lynall

Thank you for A, as for B I will use the straps if necessary....:devil:

Well done for working in a garage with 'a minimum of space' :D

Many thanks Andy, but actually I had 1 and ¾ inches to spare!:D

Yeah....how on earth did you manage to do this job in such a confined space ?????:eek::eek::eek:
Well Done :):)

Cheers, but I am used to tight spaces, take a look at my office!:crazy:

Workspace.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom