Front Suspension - Ahhh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc180k

Car
C180K Avantgarde SE Sport
Hi All,

Just had a mate inspect the car after thinking that I had a warped front disc. His findings were surprising and a touch scary!!

A snapped front coil spring (driver side) and it has left me thinking that this is going to hurt come replacement! Any ideas what is involved and how much it may be?? Car is a C180k W203.

Thanks folks

The good news is they're not expensive. The bad news is that you should replace them in pairs

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hi Nick,

quite expected the pair to need done but have been told the car is dangerous and with a long drive to visit family looming on Monday I really need to get this done. Would £300 be in about the right ball park for the pair and fit?

Thanks mate.

Yes as Nick always replace in pairs, this mainly applies to older high mileage cars where they could sink over a period of time.

The 203 is more prone to break springs than any other MB, yes it is an MOT failure but most do not get picked up till the test, it a few inches of the first turn at the bottom that breaks.

They are max £80 the pair and easy to fit with the right tools

if your not getting it done at the dealers I would take to a place that has the proper merc spring compressors as it will save you on labour costs as with the proper tool there is no need to remove any parts apart from the wheel.

you could get away with just replacing one if you get the spring from a merc dealer as they are model specific.

Do the pair and be sure. Cost, if a 124 spring is any guide then £147 for the pair. Fitting, no more than an hour...max.

Do the pair and be sure. Cost, if a 124 spring is any guide then £147 for the pair. Fitting, no more than an hour...max.

I agree -Do the pair and done with it, safety first and all that.;)

It is not a job for a novice either, as those springs are under a lot of tension.:eek:

I had a similar problem with the rear springs and cost about £200 all in from an independent, so based on that the cost should be under £ 300, I wouldn't pay main dealer prices find a good alternative (with the correct tools). Why not take advantage of the situation and lower the car by getting Merc Sport springs or Brahbus ones?

As for your trip on Monday it is unlikely that you will get them done by then so shop around and cover the options.

Good luck.

Thanks to all for the input. I have a couple of options - kwik fit at £291 all in (may be able to negotiate a small discount given my old co car used to go there all the time and they know me) or I can take it to an unknown bloke (to me anyway) who says he could do it for about £150 ish!!

Of course there is the dealer option of £51 per spring and £260 labour (per spring) - yeah right!!!

Think given the safety element I have to agree with Brian and get it done before too much longer passes. As for all the other advice from you all I'll get both done to be sure they have life in them. Will make a couple of extra calls tomorrow but unless I can find someone in Edinburgh/Glasgow or in between to do the job before cob Monday I'll be forced down the KF route as I need the car for a long journey by 4pm Monday. 100+ miles in the wifes Fiesta is hellish on the back!!

The suspension tip would be a definate if I didn't already have the sports option on the car so it will be the same spec to go on when they are replaced.

Again though thanks for all the helpful advice from the forum

What symptoms were you having that you decided to get it looked at?

What symptoms were you having that you decided to get it looked at?
Had a wobble under braking with a knocking noise depending on if it was light braking or not. Had originally thought a warped disc on the front and had made brief enquiries with Ian Walker (fab guy:D ) to price the parts for that.

One of my mates had a look this morning though as we were going to do the replacement of the discs/pads together in the new year and when we raised the car (for him to have a peek) he found a snapped spring.

Took the car to the local kwik fit for a second opinion (didn't tell them what it was only the symptoms) and they came up with the same fault.:mad:

Bit annoying as my extended warrranty expired on the 3rd Dec!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Of course there is the dealer option of £51 per spring and £260 labour (per spring) - yeah right!!!

wow that works out at £520 per hour :eek: as it should only take half an hour to change one spring with the proper spring compressor, they must be highly qualified merc technicians

wow that works out at £520 per hour :eek: as it should only take half an hour to change one spring with the proper spring compressor, they must be highly qualified merc technicians
Wish my hourly rate was as much mate! I suppose that is to offset the amount of coffee that I would drink while I waited for the work. ;)

Will keep you all posted after the new year when I am back and fingers crossed the car is working as it should! :rolleyes: (Somehow though I have a horrible felling more will need done).

Wish my hourly rate was as much mate! I suppose that is to offset the amount of coffee that I would drink while I waited for the work. ;)

Will keep you all posted after the new year when I am back and fingers crossed the car is working as it should! :rolleyes: (Somehow though I have a horrible felling more will need done).

You have a warped disc as well

The front springs on the W203 are a so and so to do unless you have the correct MB Spring compressor. There is not enough room to easily use a normal "external" type spring compressor and I bet when it comes to the bit, Kwik Fit won't have the right tool and will struggle or not get it done.

My car has had its springs changed twice. Once to C32 AMG Springs and once to Sport Edition Springs. The first time it was done by a local garage who I subsequently found out didn't have the right compressor. They got it done, but it took them hours and there were signs of their labours after they had finished. The second time it was done by a MB fitter with the right tools and was done properly.

Make sure that everything gets tightened up again when the wheel is pushed back up to its natural position. If they tighten up while the wheel is hanging down everything will creak and groan afterwards.

Of course this is a perfect opportunity to lower the car;)

The front springs on the W203 are a so and so to do unless you have the correct MB Spring compressor. There is not enough room to easily use a normal "external" type spring compressor and I bet when it comes to the bit, Kwik Fit won't have the right tool and will struggle or not get it done.

My car has had its springs changed twice. Once to C32 AMG Springs and once to Sport Edition Springs. The first time it was done by a local garage who I subsequently found out didn't have the right compressor. They got it done, but it took them hours and there were signs of their labours after they had finished. The second time it was done by a MB fitter with the right tools and was done properly.

Make sure that everything gets tightened up again when the wheel is pushed back up to its natural position. If they tighten up while the wheel is hanging down everything will creak and groan afterwards.

Of course this is a perfect opportunity to lower the car;)
Front coil springs done today and must say I continue to be impressed by the local KF garage. Work done while I was at work today and the car has been returned cleaned and with no knocking noise. Also seems to hold theroad much better than before with a quieter and smoother ride.

Still a slight wobble under very light braking but other than that I'm another happy MB driver.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom