front suspension creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graham964

Car
mercedes cls 320cdi
I have a 2008 CLS320CDi which has developed a creak in the front suspension, is this a common problem? Any suggestions to cure? Is there a grease or lubricant I can use?

thanks for any feedback

Graham

I have a 2008 CLS320CDi which has developed a creak in the front suspension, is this a common problem? Any suggestions to cure? Is there a grease or lubricant I can use?

thanks for any feedback

Had a creak on my W211 at low speeds. It was a lower balljoint. It would creak when pushed down at the front.

+1^^ the cure is usually to replace the lower ball joints even if there is no play in them.

Yes on my w211 it was the lower ball joint too. Mercedes always seem to wear out the lower ball joints quickly, I put it down to our bad roads.

Thanks for the feedback. I jacked up the hub after removing the wheel and I seem to get a noise from the top ball joint as opposed to the lower ball joint. I have removed this and will pick up a new one tomorrow. Does anybody know the torque settings for the four nuts that hold it on to the upper wishbone and the balljoint nut?

If this doesn't cure the problem I guess the lower ball joint is a likely candidate for replacement. Is the ball joint easy to press out? Could anybody advise me as I am working without a manual.

Does anybody have any recommendations on where I can download or buy a manual?

cheers

Graham

Disappointing I have replaced the top ball joint and its still creaking. I consequently lowered the lower suspension arm on to some bricks and got my son to bounce on the wing whilst I listened to where the creaking was coming from. The outcome of which being that the noise was still coming from the upper part of the suspension, although it is difficult to pinpoint it exactly.
The bushes for the upper wishbone look good which only leaves the strut itself or the top mount. I had a Porsche Boxster until recently and a common fault with these was creaking from the front suspension which was often related to the top mounts which could be removed by soaking the top of the mount in wd 40. I had nothing to lose so I gave this a try and initially I thought it had made no difference however after a short drive the noise has now disappeared so it looks like I will be needing a new top mount in the near future although for the time being I have applied a liberal dose of GT85 which has better lubricating properties than WD40.

I am also in the process of downloading a manual (from emanuals who advertise on this site), all 9Gb which is taking some time on my flakey internet connection. I am not familiar with the WIS system has anybody else used it?

cheers

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom