Front Suspension Rattle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Treborsweet

Car
Mercedes S205 C250 Premium Plus Diamond White 2017
Hi all i have a rattle from the front drivers side wheel, 4 garages have looked and cannot find anything, also sailed through MOT yesterday.
Looking around the forum it Could possibly be a shock absorber, a garage i use has a shock from a W204 c200 AMG Sport, i have a W204 c220 AMG Sport, he wants to put this to see if the rattle goes?
They are both different part numbers, would this work? Just to eliminate the shock if the rattle goes i would purchase a new one.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

If replacing do so in pairs.

it wont be on the car very long i guess to find out if rattle goes away . so why not ...

it wont be on the car very long i guess to find out if rattle goes away . so why not ...
I was referring to the need to replace in pairs should the fault be in the original damper.

I was referring to the need to replace in pairs should the fault be in the original damper.

i was talking to him not you .

Thanks guys,think i'll give a go temporally if it can do not do damage.
Are the only differences in the 2 shocks different pressures?

Thanks guys,think i'll give a go temporally if it can do not do damage.
Are the only differences in the 2 shocks different pressures?

theres a chance they are the same , usually its the springs that have different ratings ,but shocks are balanced to meet the bound and rebound limits , are you using the same spring from the original shock . ?

theres a chance they are the same , usually its the springs that have different ratings ,but shocks are balanced to meet the bound and rebound limits , are you using the same spring from the original shock . ?
Yes the same spring will be used.

Yes the same spring will be used.

id think youd be fine then for a quick trip and a listen . good luck with it .

If it's a rattle then I would swap the droplinks first - they are pretty cheap and much quicker to swap than dampers.

Whenever I have had annoying rattles that sound like something is really broken - they have turned out to be the droplinks.

If it's a rattle then I would swap the droplinks first - they are pretty cheap and much quicker to swap than dampers.

Whenever I have had annoying rattles that sound like something is really broken - they have turned out to be the droplinks.
Drop links already done

Yes quite right, I have seen that post.
Gonna try and get my mechanic to change it today.
I'll let you all know the outcome.
Thanks.

Afternoon guys, had shock changed & ARRGGHH rattle is still there, we have narrowed it down to defiantly at the wheel area around the caliper, if you hit the tyre with a rubber mallet while the car is up in the air on the ramp you can hear the rattle, metal on metal

I have have new pads & discs, new wheel bearings & now changed the shock absorber.
Anyone have any idaes of pointers, he is going to strip that side down on Mon-Tues.

Can a caliper rattle from inside?

The pads can rattle . try a light foot when its rattling and see if it stops.

strut top mount bearing ? there's not much left .....

I can't think of anything that would rattle hitting the tyre tbh other than the disc stone guard.

Hi all i have a rattle from the front drivers side wheel, 4 garages have looked and cannot find anything, also sailed through MOT yesterday.
Looking around the forum it Could possibly be a shock absorber, a garage i use has a shock from a W204 c200 AMG Sport, i have a W204 c220 AMG Sport, he wants to put this to see if the rattle goes?
They are both different part numbers, would this work? Just to eliminate the shock if the rattle goes i would purchase a new one.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

I've had a patter I'd describe it as on front left ever since I brought it. Keeps going through mots no problem. Anyway got fed up with it and investigated. I'd already changed all ball joints and arms so was thinking it was the drop links. After stripping it all down I couldn't find it . Looking at it's history mercedes put new front springs on before I purchased it. I thought let's check top mount nut is tight and there it was! Half a turn and all is silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom