Front Suspension Rattle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No such luck with mine, he had the top mounts off, but the noise is definitely around the bottom half of the wheel area.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Exactly what I'm thinking, can they make a metal on metal rattle sound?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know which are the most common ball joints that go? tie rods or suspension arms?

Last edited:
Exactly what I'm thinking, can they make a metal on metal rattle sound?

Lower balljoint is the one that goes commonly. It can be elusive.

When mine went I had an intermittent knocking sound or light rattle in some driving conditions. Then once they had gone properly there was a screech (or moan) that occurred if you pressed down on the front wing and then released it. Sometimes the steering position of the front wheel has an effect.

I have had a really annoying rattle that I could not track down F/O/S for an age......was thinking of all sorts of revolting horrible stuff it could be that would cost be megga ££££......changed my brake pads at thw weekend and found the little culprit....Brake stone/dust guard rattling a way like a happy rattling thing... a job for next weekend methinks.

I personally would check your brake backing plate too

The plate feel very solid, would it feel loose if there was a problem?

The plate feel very solid, would it feel loose if there was a problem?

yes it would sound like a tin can inside a tumble drier , you should be able to tap it by hand and make it contact any metal nearby and make the same sounds.

Hi all still have the rattle it went away for months on its own accord, had a tyre changed yesterdayon the drivers side and the rattle is back with a vengence?
Anyone shed any light on possibilites?

Do you mean a wheel alignment could sought it as my offside front tyre was bald on the inside?

No. Just that the if the ball joint is gone and the car is static that pressing the car down may not consistently cause a creak/moan depending on the steering wheel position.

Arrgghh, right today had both lower arms replaced (upper & lower) and rattle is still there, starting to think its not suspension now? is there anything else that can rattle in that vacinity, engine mounts , anything attached to the turbo?

Top mounts or shocks

Had another shock fitted to the car to check shocks rattling and it was still the same, can a top mount rattle?
Top mounts or shocks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Had another shock fitted to the car to check shocks rattling and it was still the same, can a top mount rattle?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

They make a deep metallic thud over bumps rather than say hitting a pudding tin with a spoon.

They make a deep metallic thud over bumps rather than say hitting a pudding tin with a spoon.
LOL pudding tin with a spoon is more like the sound metal on metal, i'm at wits end now had the shock changed, new guide bolts etc for the caliper, 2 lower control arms, wheel bearings, new pads and disc. I cannot belive something so noisy cannot be found easily found.

It really sound like pads in a caliper but its not, i can hold the brakes while going over rough ground and it still rattles?

You could have a snapped heat shield under the car, when it vibrates it will rattle.
It's difficult to pin point where the noise comes from?
Best thing to do is to put the car on a hoist and touch everything checking for loose ends.
Might be time to replace rubber hangers for your exhaust?

Right narrowed it down to the caliper ,with the car on a ramp the noise can be partitally recreated when hitting the tyre with a club hammer. new pads were fitted months ago with the same rattle after, and new slide pins and anti rattle shims fitted to the caliper.

Is it possible the holes where slide pins go through have worn in the carrier/caliper? although if i hold the brakes while driving over pot holes the noise does not go away?

Had this on my w202 last week ...down to cheap front shocks (from Autodoc).
I wrongly figured that a 2 year old part could rattle like a tin can on my 21 year old MB, until MOT man said "it's f*cked".

It's the 'race to the bottom' with the plethora of cheap pattern parts available on-line, which are naturally attractive to fit on cars worth next to nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom