Front tyre wear - Hawkeye printout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cozzykim

Car
CLK 270CDi
Hi folks,

I have the outside edge front tyre wear problem on my CLK270.

I've had a 4 wheel alignment check on a Hawkeye machine today and have a basic printout.

I'd like to post it for any comments, as a PDF or Image.

I want to know whether this is a problem I just have to get used to or whether it can be cured or even just reduced.

Cheers

Thanks,

the car drives OK, but wears the last inch of front outside edge tread to bald in about half the miles I would expect from careful driving, I ain't a boy racer anymore ;)

I posted about this in the Front tyre wear outside edge but didn't get any replies.

I've now had the four wheel alignment checked on a Hawkeye machine, but haven't had any adjustments made as I wanted to ask for the forum members opinion first.

Here's the basic printout, I know that the front alignment is to the offside, I think this has been done previously to try and stop the car following the camber or "pulling to the left" as it's been called.

The outside edge wear is reasonably even on both sides, maybe a little more on the nearside.

The Hawkeye operator mentioned that my brand new set of Michelins are already showing signs of wear after only around 500-1000 miles :eek:

Attachments

• Hawkeye.jpeg
    Hawkeye.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 60
Front Camber, Castor & Toe appear to be "fighting" each other?? My feeling is they have set it up to pull MORE to the left, see the Castor split - it should be the other way to make it go right. Camber is fighting this too, and has been set to go make it go right, but my understanding is this should be done using caster not camber in the first instance.

But, I'll leave this to the experts who know much more than me.

Get yourself to Wheels In Motion, I doubt there is much better in the UK, look them up here or on the web....... :):)

Last edited:
Unfortunately that report is meaningless because they haven't told the machine the angle of the front wishbone and the drive shafts. This is why the castor results are in gray-shade.

Hi and thanks,

I removed the name of the company from my pic as I got the impression that this particular operator might be less experienced than he should be.

They put the car on the machine, fitted the reflectors and produced this report.

I'd love to come down to WIM to get the benefit of your expertise, but you're just too far away I'm afraid. :(

I could ask them for another check, if I knew what to ask them to look for, does the Hawkeye have particular additional equipment to make the measurements that are missing, or is it up to the skill of the operator?

Where abouts are you cozzykim?

I had a 4 wheel alignment done on my CLK recently, as I am also two hundred miles from WIM who would have been my preference, I went to Nigel Langs in Bolton. They used to be an approved WIM associate or agent (I think).

I was very pleased with the work they did and they seemed very professional and knowledgable to me.

Thanks Igurisu, I'm still a fair distance away.

Looks like having the right machinery is still no guarantee of success. :(

Not quite sure what the best way forward is then.

You could always try your local Mb dealership? The car is standard I take it? i.e. not lowered or anything? They do this stuff day-in day-out and have the correct kit (well mine does!)..

They're horrifically expensive and may well take £300 quid off me for the privilege of telling me "they all do it" while giving me back the nearside pull. :(

I find that, for an older vehicle, Merc parts and support are reasonable, but once they get you in that workshop :eek:

Have a naughty weekend away near WIM....... :):)

They're horrifically expensive and may well take £300 quid off me for the privilege of telling me "they all do it" while giving me back the nearside pull. :(

I find that, for an older vehicle, Merc parts and support are reasonable, but once they get you in that workshop :eek:

Full geo check (only toe and steering centre adjustment required) with level adjustment (on STAR, not for your car though) and approx 2.5hrs work cost me £140 last week.

i take it a wheel alignment for a discounted £15 at national autocare wont do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom