Front tyres worn inside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robdata

Car
C63 2013
Even the treat overall is very good on my front tyres, they are really bad on both sites on the inside. Car is 2013 C63. Is that common or is this a trip to do camber?

Camber adjustments will help, but it is a fairly common trait with Merecedes and Contis sorry to say.....

Yep had the same on my CLS with Contis. Fixed by camber and caster adjustment. So much quieter now.

The Goodyear Eagle Assymetrics seems to be the popular one at the moment and likely what I will go for when my Pirelli P Zeros wear out...

SLK 55 is the same by the look of it, although these have 17000 miles so not too bad ?
Conti,s by the way.

Attachments

• WP_20170713_15_46_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170713_15_46_43_Pro.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 66
  • WP_20170713_15_47_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170713_15_47_22_Pro.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 61
I'd be therilled with 17,000 miles in a performance car!

Mine wore on the inside to the wire without me realising and they were continentals but mine were the rears get the car realigned on a hunter system and get the camber sorted if it still happens sell the car lol

It's down to how the car is set up. Don't think it matters too much what the tyre brand is as they will wear on the inner edge regardless. I had the alignment done on my previous CLS55 to combat the inner edge wear, but the handling was affected and the car felt floaty if that makes sense and less sharp. I had the settings reverted back to factory settings and all was good again......bar the inner tyre wear. At £200 a tyre it was worth it.

My current CLS63 is set up the same. I've replaced front and rears recently in the 10k miles I've owned it, again the tyres were badly worn on the inner edge with 3-4mm on the outer section. It had Contis on but have replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are a different level. Much more grip and a more compliant ride.

Jules

Jules

Thanks for that Cyclone 1. That is what my worry is about. Everyone says go and do a alignment but Iam in your worry thinking do that and something else goes wrong. If people here experience the same problem and is common then I thing I leave it alone and just get new tyres.
The only other thing what bugs me is that so many people seems to have different opinion about the tyres. Some like conti 6 and seems to be very happy with the super sports. Do they wear much quicker as I been told they are softer?

Thanks for that Cyclone 1. That is what my worry is about. Everyone says go and do a alignment but Iam in your worry thinking do that and something else goes wrong. If people here experience the same problem and is common then I thing I leave it alone and just get new tyres.
The only other thing what bugs me is that so many people seems to have different opinion about the tyres. Some like conti 6 and seems to be very happy with the super sports. Do they wear much quicker as I been told they are softer?
Tyres are a very emotive subject and people waffle on endlessly about how X is better than Y, and they probably are ..on any given day. But until you have paid for and fitted a certain tyre to your vehicle you will never know the truth (unless you are daft enough to go for budget (no name) brands.

This was bought home to me during my Superbike days when a rear tyre was toast in under 2000 miles and bike magazines were full of track/road tyre tests.

I found (unless you were a real scrooge) it was impossible to buy a bad tyre but very easy to buy the WRONG tyre for your intended use.

Same applies with your car...X 4

......It had Contis on but have replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports which are a different level. Much more grip and a more compliant ride.
Jules

Jules

I couldn't agree more. Michelin Pilot's seem to give a softer ride, but with decent grip in all conditions.
Premium price though :)

I got a good price on my Super Sports by simply ringing around local tyre fitters and getting them to beat the online prices (Black circles / Mytyres etc etc), which one of them did.

I've also read that the Super Sport is a softer compound compared to the Conti 5's that were on my car and to be honest I would agree with this. I think it gives slightly more give in the side wall and they tend to really dig in when accelerating, so harder to make the wheels spin (not bad with nigh on 750bhp). The contis were fine but I always knew at which point they would spin so often backed off, whereas with the Super Sports I can push the limits a bit further. The car feels more planted in the dry and wet and it no longer feels like it's on ice when in the wet (if that makes sense), it now feels more connected.

Jules.

My recently bought car had more wear on the inside edges. Replaced the tyres and had them do the tracking, and they did say that it was out - so we'll see whether it continues to happen now it's corrected.

done the tracking today and it was spot on. That shows me that it must be normal to wear on the inside on the contis.I took the recommendation on board and changed to MSS. The future will show if it is an improvement.

done the tracking today and it was spot on. That shows me that it must be normal to wear on the inside on the contis.I took the recommendation on board and changed to MSS. The future will show if it is an improvement.

The tracking may be correct but is the camber and caster correct? I kept having mine tracked to combat the wear, but it never sorted the inner edge wear until the camber and caster was properly set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom