Front wheel bearing just collapsed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daveuk

Car
A180 Sport & E250 AMG Sport
So my 87k miles 2014 E class front wheel bearing just collapsed looking online you can buy a complete hub with bearing already in from Mercedes I’m handy with the spanner’s so is a pretty straight forward job to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I did mine in about 30 minutes.

Caliper and carrier off. Disc off. Remove hub nut .remove hub. Fit new hub following the how to tighten hub nut guide . Refit disc and caliper.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Awesome thanks are they a common thing to go wrong? Never had wheel bearing issues since the days of owning 1980’s Vauxhall’s lol.

I just think they get wet and fail over time. Really should be maintained at a brake service tbh. Stripped down and a repack with green grease and the nut tension set correctly.

No, they don't get wet, in any kind of 'normal use' scenario.
Never found any MB front wheel bearings to be worn out, after 20 to 30 years of use.

5 years, then?!!
So maybe, they're not quite the quality items, that they once were?

So my 87k miles 2014 E class front wheel bearing just collapsed looking online you can buy a complete hub with bearing already in from Mercedes I’m handy with the spanner’s so is a pretty straight forward job to do?

I thought that one of my front wheel bearing had let go (2010 E Coupe, 130k miles), but after disassembling, cleaning the old (dried up) grease out, re greasing and setting the proper tension, it's as good as new!
Always worth a try before replacement.

I thought that one of my front wheel bearing had let go (2010 E Coupe, 130k miles), but after disassembling, cleaning the old (dried up) grease out, re greasing and setting the proper tension, it's as good as new!
Always worth a try before replacement.
Having gone to that effort would it not have been wise to replace anyway?

Simply repacking with grease is probably just masking any bearing wear.

It’s definitely past the point of re greasing as bits of metal fell out and the cap had come off inside the wheel.

When mine failed for rough turning on the mot. On inspection the needles were brown and rusting and very little signs of green grease. The car was 11 year old on 85k. Drivers side.

It’s definitely past the point of re greasing as bits of metal fell out and the cap had come off inside the wheel.

This can happen after 10 miles of driving if you over tighten the hub nut . That part is very important.

Well if I had my front wheel bearing collapse,I would buy the complete hub,this is what happens if you take the car to MB,the time spent repairing your old hub at their labour costs ,it makes sense,unless things have changed you could do with a hand press to push the new bearing into place,of course a large hammer and a drift maybe all you have,it is up to you,but a new hub for me everytime.

Well if I had my front wheel bearing collapse,I would buy the complete hub,this is what happens if you take the car to MB,the time spent repairing your old hub at their labour costs ,it makes sense,unless things have changed you could do with a hand press to push the new bearing into place,of course a large hammer and a drift maybe all you have,it is up to you,but a new hub for me everytime.

The fronts are 2 roller bearings and are placed in by hand. Its the racers they sit in that need knocking out and pressing in. Its also worth a mention that the sealing ring is also the abs pick up ring and causes all sorts of problems. I also went for the complete hub. £186 but without any heartache.

Only had service & mot at Mercedes in April.

Only had service & mot at Mercedes in April.

Unless it was noisey and loose on the mot day mb wont have looked at it.

When the hydro-bush in the upper control arm failed, I bought two new bushes and got WIM to fit them for me.

In hindsight, aving seen the time it takes to remove the old bushes from the control arm (using a press) and fit the new ones in, I clearly should have just bought new control arms complete with bushes (and ball joints on other end) which would have made fitting them a ten minute job...

It was false economy on my part, but you live and learn.

I would go for complete hub assembly....

When the hydro-bush in the upper control arm failed, I bought two new bushes and got WIM to fit them for me.

In hindsight, aving seen the time it takes to remove the old bushes from the control arm (using a press) and fit the new ones in, I clearly should have just bought new control arms complete with bushes (and ball joints on other end) which would have made fitting them a ten minute job...

It was false economy on my part, but you live and learn.

I would go for complete hub assembly....

Yes hub with bearing in genuine is what I’ve ordered

Having gone to that effort would it not have been wise to replace anyway?

Simply repacking with grease is probably just masking any bearing wear.

Ordinarily you'd be absolutely right, but the noise I was getting wasn't the typical wheel bearing humm, more of a screech on cornering, so I took it apart to investigate (was doing an oil & filter change anyway so car was already in the air).

Having inspected the bearing, there was no sign of excessive wear, but the hub nut wasn't at the correct tension on disassembly, and as mentioned the OEM grease was drying up.
The job took literally 15 mins, so there wasn't really much effort involved, and I've saved myself £100+ on even a non genuine hub assembly.

Worth 15 mins of my time and a bit of grease IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom