Front wheels stuck on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waitforme

Car
E400D Coupé PP Cavansite Blue, Mini Countryman SD , Cayman
I’m looking for some advice on how to remove the front wheels from my car.

I’ve loosened the bolts and hit the tyre from under the car with a 7lb hammer but they are refusing to budge , any tips other than take it to a garage ?

Donkey Kick . or (not really reccommended) loosen wheel nuts and drive slowly wiggle steering wheel/stomp on brake pedal, reverse , repeat . Again not really recommended for soft alloy wheels.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Donkey Kick . or (not really reccommended) loosen wheel nuts and drive slowly wiggle steering wheel/stomp on brake pedal, reverse , repeat . Again not really recommended for soft alloy wheels.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
As Pete says but then smear the hub faces with copper grease so that the wheels don't stick on next time

Thanks, I’ll give the donkey kick a go 👍

Loosen the bolts but don't remove all the way, Jack the car up so the tyre is off the ground then carefully lower it down again often pops them off

Jack up.
Bolts loose, you only need leave 2 a few threads in.
I sit facing the wheel and heel kick left foot, right foot till loose.

On jack, loosen wheel nuts, place block/post of wood between wheel and robust part of chassis at either 3 or 9 o clock position, start engine and turn steering wheel in direction that forces wheel to compress wooden block/post.

With slightly off the ground and all bolts removed:
  1. Donkey kick (try not to injure yourself - many people do eg wearing trainers!)
  2. Rubber mallet on the inner tyre face (not rim) at base with a heft whack
  3. Block of wood at lower tyre face and decent hammer (watch that do not bash car off of jack)

If above do not work:
  • 3 bolts back on - "finger tight", lower car, drive slowly up/down road with a couple of heavy brakes. Now jack back up and retry removal.

If after this you still have an issue. Take it to a professional. (Never had to try Bellow's trick, may be worth a go)

I am a fan of Copaslip on both bolts and rim/hub face. You only need a very thin even smear.

No hammer, no blocks of wood, no kicking, no braking
Loosen all wheel nuts one turn, roll the one wheel revolution, jack up and take the nuts off and remove wheel.
Better to use the weight of the car rather than your size 10s or hammer.

On jack, loosen wheel nuts, place block/post of wood between wheel and robust part of chassis at either 3 or 9 o clock position, start engine and turn steering wheel in direction that forces wheel to compress wooden block/post.
Sounds like a good way to break something

Success 😀

Thanks to all who suggested various methods.
In the end I loosened the bolts, jacked the car up and dropped it quickly on the jack, did this a few times.
I then jacked it up and tried the donkey kicking, both with my back to the wheel and sitting on a small stool facing the wheel. After probably a dozen or so kicks at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock the wheel moved. The rear came off easier with just 2 or 3 donkey kicks a side.
Still to do the near side wheels but may try the loosening one turn and drive a few yards 🤔

Thanks again 👍

+1 for copper grease, I use a spray. Without it the wheels practically weld themselves on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom