Front window falling forward W124 (New rubbers needed too)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jontyash

Car
W126 500SE
This must be a question that has been asked before so sorry if it is, but does anyone have a link to fixing an electric window on a 300CE Coupe?

The window moves up and down but tilts forward as it gets 2/3 inches from the top, then stops.

Also, the window rubber on the outside came out today as I wound the window up - it is split and therefore I need a new one. Anyone know where the best place is to get one?

Thanks!

rather than the front runner it's more likely that the lifter mechanism has worked loose on the door.

Take the door trim off - undo the screws around the door striker, behind the door pull (there is a big one in there) and remove any bits of plastic trim around the mirror and the door pull before lifting the door trim upwards (don't pull it as you'll damage the clips)

You should then be able to see where the door lifter mechanism fixes to the door - make sure everything is tight and (my guess) replace the front bolt on the small horizontal guide :) if you are lucky, you'll find it in the bottom of the door

Actually, I did hear a cunk sound as a metal sounding something fell off something when I went round a corner the other day - could have been the bolt hitting the door! Thanks Andy.

rather than the front runner it's more likely that the lifter mechanism has worked loose on the door.

Take the door trim off - undo the screws around the door striker, behind the door pull (there is a big one in there) and remove any bits of plastic trim around the mirror and the door pull before lifting the door trim upwards (don't pull it as you'll damage the clips)

You should then be able to see where the door lifter mechanism fixes to the door - make sure everything is tight and (my guess) replace the front bolt on the small horizontal guide :) if you are lucky, you'll find it in the bottom of the door

I think there is a how-to on this floating about. Don't forget to disconnect the puddle light at the bottom which will prise out with a flat blade screwdriver - I can't remember if you have eleccy seats but if so pull the knobs off and remove the circlip from the middle switch to release the plastic trim there - it may need a surprising amount of force to lift the card off but check you've got all the fixings out first, you'll need to remove the plastic trim around the lock which has one screw IIRC. Some advocate removing the door pull lever, but I've always managed to get it to go through the hole in the card still attached..

Ade

Thanks Ade, I'll give that a go, any ideas on where I can get a new window rubber?

Right, just took the door card off at luchtime to have a look. The front runner had come off. Fiddly as hell but I managed to get it back on ok in the end! Window is working ok now but not perfect.

The rubber that sits inside the mirror where the glass come us toward the front of the car is definitely shot though. The window still binds here. Bloody annoying.

Definitely need new rubbers? Anyone?

Thanks for your help btw ade - I didn't need to take the handle or electrics off - just popped it out fine. Cheers.

You could try 'Forest Fine' but check main dealer prices first as they are often the cheapest source.

Well after saying its a piece of cake, new window motor is in and working fine, but for some reason I can only get 296 of the 297 plastic clips to engage in putting the door card back :mad: - I'm sure the driver's side was easier...

Its now chucking it down, so will resume later.... CE 1, Ade 0..

Ade :mad:

the trick is to sit on the sill, use your knees to hold the sides in, push the centre of the card (where the row of clips above the door pocket go) with one hand and use your other hand to push down from the top of the armrest whilst holding the top of the panel against the door with your elbow -easy as pie :D

the trick is to sit on the sill, use your knees to hold the sides in, push the centre of the card (where the row of clips above the door pocket go) with one hand and use your other hand to push down from the top of the armrest whilst holding the top of the panel against the door with your elbow -easy as pie :D

Will have to enlist a helper then, as the car is outside and single handed you need the door at maximum extension to push against anything (not that I'm swinging at the hinges or anything.).

Rain has stopped, will give it a whirl.. round two!

Ade

VICTORY:rock:

Less haste more speed, as ever.

I can see why the link earlier suggests removing the leccy seat switches as the door pull surround toggles into it, which with a bit of wiggling can be clipped together with it in situ.

Electricwindowdoortrimtastic.

Ade :)

Lol, excellent. I thought I'd done mine perfectly but realised today that I didn't at all - I only just realised that the door car is bowing in the middle - one od the clips no doubt - damn it. And it's gonna rain all week... Oh for a garage with tools......:-(

Lol, excellent. I thought I'd done mine perfectly but realised today that I didn't at all - I only just realised that the door car is bowing in the middle - one od the clips no doubt - damn it. And it's gonna rain all week... Oh for a garage with tools......:-(

I did say.....

that centre clip is a pain

Yeah I know, I still haven't fixed it either and the leccy window on the other side has broken...arrrrghh!

So it's....sit on the sill, use your knees to hold the side in.....etc etc....got it..lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom