Front Window Tinting Advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I'm the first to say that dark tinted front windows are only found on cars driven by D.Head and his mates.

However, I'd like to understand the legal position of front tinting (not the windscreen) - pass through light levels etc.

The reason is that my car can look a little, er, van like, in some circumstances and I'm wondering if I can blend the fronts slightly.

The dark rears were a factory fit option (840) and though not my choice, they weren't reason enough for me to not buy the car.

In terms of safety etc. I'm happy that whatever is legal will have taken this into account.

Here's an example of the problem:
new040.jpg

John, I thought you said I was stupid for even thinking about it.

The law is an ass sometimes. You have to keep them the way they are as your blue glass has a tint.

I know I can see out of my back windows fine, even in night, so front tints would be ok but the law would think you the worst person on earth for even thinking about it.

Otherwise, my windows on the front of mine, would match the tints at the back, which are fully tinted

530101_10150762174359359_745444358_11541705_1465812397_n.jpg

Thanks for that - Will's point is also a valid one - it will be hard to establish the starting point of the original windows, unless a reliable light meter is used.

Undertakers don't have their windows tinted at the back. I suppose they need as much visibiliity as possible so they don't clip the front of the car they've undercut as that would spin them out of control and they'd end up in a herse....

Per DM above and the directgov website most standard factory tints are on or very close to the legal limit
In most modern vehicles there is a slight tint added to the windows when they are made. If you add any more tint it’s likely to result in the windows failing to meet the legal requirements.

I have seen 'graduated' (front to rear) tints on front side windows, which can help to blend in dark rear tints. But I suspect those would still be illegal on the basis that the whole of each side window should meet the 70% light transmission requirement.

Assuming all the original glass is the same, and that the windscreen is 25%, then you can put 5% on the front sides.

Assuming all the original glass is the same, and that the windscreen is 25%, then you can put 5% on the front sides.

Windscreens are lighter, you can see it.

Developer.

If you are that ugly, just put a bag over your head when out in the car.

Don't forget a couple of eye holes...

John, I thought you said I was stupid for even thinking about it.

As I said Steve, dark is for d*ck, but if there's any adjustment within the law I'd be interested, just to gain a better blend.

As I said Steve, dark is for d*ck, but if there's any adjustment within the law I'd be interested, just to gain a better blend.

Do you mean a change in colour of glass? From blue to a grey colour.

Agree the blue does look odd, but its really good glass at keeping the car coolish and UV etc out the car.

Developer.

If you are that ugly, just put a bag over your head when out in the car.

Don't forget a couple of eye holes...

It's not hard to see why your fan club is undersubscribed DM ;).

Do you mean a change in colour of glass? From blue to a grey colour.

Agree the blue does look odd, but its really good glass at keeping the car coolish and UV etc out the car.

Yes Steve, if allowed I'd expect a film to go straight over the existing windows.

I think the law is as much a security issue as a safety one. Would you, as a policeman, want to approach a car alone unable to see what the drivers hands are doing??

Keep it clean.

I think the law is as much a security issue as a safety one. Would you, as a policeman, want to approach a car alone unable to see what the drivers hands are doing??

In Scotland you have two police officers present, less risk.

IKeep it clean.

I was tugged by a police woman once, I would have loved it if there were two of them.

Well the front tint law is for the police to saw what you are up to, i.e on the phone, eating a sandwich, holding a gun etc.

Well the front tint law is for the police to saw what you are up to, i.e on the phone, eating a sandwich, holding a gun etc.

Yes, these are matters of grave national importance. All these actions will mean you WILL be killed.

And the standard windows are...??

Not sure, I see your point though on the starting of how tinted they currently are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom