Front window tints do or don't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dannyallen89

Car
mercedes c220 amg sport
My car is in for roof wrapping dechrome and window tinting today I asked for all to be done but I'm unsure now about the fronts done incase of getting pulled over by the police and getting points.
Has any1 done this already or had trouble with it? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

its a choice you take. Will all depend on where you live and how hot the police are on that type of offence.

Personally, I think it looks better with a lighter tint on the front than the back, but it is illegal, so you pays your money and takes your chance!

I had it done on a mondeo ST220 many moons ago and never got pulled over, but never had front tints on a car since.

its a choice you take. Will all depend on where you live and how hot the police are on that type of offence.

Personally, I think it looks better with a lighter tint on the front than the back, but it is illegal, so you pays your money and takes your chance!

I had it done on a mondeo ST220 many moons ago and never got pulled over, but never had front tints on a car since.
Cheers year I'm just doing the rears don't mind the fine but don't want no points for something so little

I wouldn't.

If you hit someone that you didn't see - perhaps a biker/cyclist you pull out on after dark, you'll be in big trouble and, I expect, not insured.

I had tints on a ST I had, got pulled over and was made to scratch them so he'd know I would remove them.
Didn't get know points just a slapped wrist

We were asked , for the first time , whilst insuring my sons car - " have the windows been tinted ? "

Maybe the insurance companies are taking a dim :rolleyes: view of this now as it could contribute to the cause of an accident.

If you pull out on someone and your view has been compromised due to something illegal you have done then the insurance may be null and void.

How some can see out of their side windows at night I don't know.

IMHO - no , leave standard as it may save monumental future problems.

Kenny

I had my last car front tinted but very mildly with the rears much darker but not limo black and was lucky never to be pulled up for it only every got pulled for the spacing on my number plate. It clearly depends on the officer pulling you over.
I believe window tints have yet to be added to your MOT?

Lets see the before and after photo's

Last edited:
We were asked , for the first time , whilst insuring my sons car - " have the windows been tinted ? "

Maybe the insurance companies are taking a dim :rolleyes: view of this now as it could contribute to the cause of an accident.

Window tints have always been declarable under the question 'has the car been modified in any way?'. But I guess so many people wrongly answer 'no' they are specifically prompting for a few of the more common ones now.

Having just re-insured our Vito and the SL it's quite an eye-opener what must be declared if it's not part of the standard spec. for example
  • Decals or stickers
  • 'Badges indicating increased performance' (so an AMG badge on a non-AMG model would count there)
  • Wheel spacers
  • Wheel trims
  • Non standard air filter
  • Braided brake hoses
  • Non standard steering wheel
  • Spot / driving / fog lights
  • Locking wheel nuts
  • Parking sensors
  • Tow bar
  • Car phone
  • Roof rack

Those are all from comparethemarket but other insurance websites are similar.

My c63 had the fronts done in the lightest shade I could. Looked loads better

Basically anything that points towards the owner being an enthusiastic driver...

My insurers refused to cover the car if I fitted braided brake hoses or modified the exhaust..

Window tints have always been declarable under the question 'has the car been modified in any way?'.

Never been asked that for car insurance , bike yes but not the car.

"Has the vehicle be modified to increased top speed or acceleration" is the phrase that More Than use.

I think we all understand that anything above the standard tint on the front is illegal so why put yourself in the position of your insurance company declining any potential claim if it was found that compromised visibility was a factor in any accident :dk:

Kenny

"Has the vehicle be modified to increased top speed or acceleration" is the phrase that More Than use.

I just looked at their website and it says
Please let us know if any changes have been made to your car after it was produced by the factory (e.g. engine modifications, body kits, etc).

If you answer 'yes' then the list includes all the kind of things I listed earlier e.g. window tints, car phone, locking wheel nuts, parking sensors, towbar, etc.

Under 'wheels and tyres' you have to declare if your tyres have been filled with nitrogen!!

I have read conflicting info so maybe someone could clarify.

On one hand, front tinting is illegal full stop.

On the other hand, he there is a legal limit (say 20%) so if you have factory glass @10% then another 5% is finee

Anyone clarify?

I had my last car front tinted but very mildly with the rears much darker but not limo black and was lucky never to be pulled up for it only every got pulled for the spacing on my number plate. It clearly depends on the officer pulling you over.
I believe window tints have yet to be added to your MOT?

Lets see the before and after photo's
uploadfromtaptalk1469880344401.jpg before
uploadfromtaptalk1469880360654.jpg after uploadfromtaptalk1469880370860.jpg pics are will try get better 1s later went for factory tint not limo drls roof and boot handle gloss black too

I would never fit tints to the front windows,I believe they are dangerous and it is a very visible nick,I bet you have a private plate,also a nick but less visible,why court a double whammy.

I would never fit tints to the front windows,I believe they are dangerous and it is a very visible nick,I bet you have a private plate,also a nick but less visible,why court a double whammy.
No plate yet I stuck with rears only

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom