Frost damage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffwebb

Car
E55 AMG + Suzuki Burgman 400
I drove my W169 today for the first time for a week. Now, when I brake, I have a judder as if there is something stuck on one of the discs. Is this likely to be a frost/salt related bit of corrosion which will disappear in time, or should I be looking for something more sinister. Any suggestions/advice gratefully received. Regards, Jeff.

If it's coming from the back, I used to get that with my SL until I stopped using the parking brake.

I suspect that clamping the pad against a hot disk was leaving a thin layer behind when I took the brake off (sometimes weeks later).

Usually some spirited / prolonged braking 'cured' it, but it was annoying nonetheless. Never happened again since I started just leaving the transmission in Park.

I've also heard that the pad can act as a heat soak, causing that part of the disk to cool more rapidly and potentially causing slight distortion. I guess in freezing cold weather the opposite could apply, with the heat of the pad and caliper keeping that part of the disk warmer than the rest?

But I'm sure someone who actually knows will be along shortly!

I Is this likely to be a frost/salt related bit of corrosion which will disappear in time, .

yes !!

a bit of towndriving will get rid of the problem. A long m way drive does little for disc cleaning!

dont know for the 169 but my clk has parking brake drums so the disc pad sitting on the disc problem does not occur.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom