Frozen locks and condensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shanksy

Car
W124 e220 coupe + W208 CLK430
Hi all,
Has anyone had an experience with those de-humidifier pads you place on your dash to prevent excess condensation ?
I have a bit of a problem with it at the moment as I have a slight leak down into the cabin and my mats get damp.
Do they really work ?

The other thing was my drivers side lock regularly freezes in cold weather, I don't know whether to get the spray (prob not good for the lock) or one of those heating element keyrings which heat up (prob cheap rubbish).
Are there any better solutions for a quick getaway in the mornings without the usual slide over from the passenger side ?

Cheers as always :)

I used to use WD40 when the lock was stiff but it only worked for a few weeks, so I got some graphite stuff instead.
Would the WD40 actually prevent it freezing ?

Any lubricating spray which displaces moisture (It will say on the side of the can). Make sure you spray the mechanism well.

As to de-humidifiers, our Doris put one in the car, asked me to microwave it dry after a couple of weeks, and it took quite of blasts to nuke it dry - so they definitely absorb water

For iced up locks, I usually just toast the key with a fag lighter for a bit...
cheers

Silica Gel sachets will soak up moisture in the car. Same stuff you get in your Nike'es, and pretty cheap too.

The ones you get in shoes are a gram - have a spy on e-bay, buy as many as you want of whatever size and sprinkle the sachets where you see fit.

Edited to say sprinkle the sachets, not open the sachets and sprinkle the gel!

Years ago before central locking I used to put a small strip of electricians tape over the key slot at night and it worked a treat

Thanks for the tips guys, ive decided to get a strip dehumidifier off amazon, made sure its one with Silica rather than clay.
On the lock front, i'm gonna just go with Harry's tip. I've always got electrical tape in the car so hopefully that'll do the trick.

I wouldnt use WD40 on the locks, might do more harm than good! Tried this once and jammed my lock to what was just a sticky one.

As per BillyW124, if you use wd40 or any water dispersant in a lock you really should use some graphite lubricant afterwards or the lock will likely seize as it will strip out the lubricant along with the water. I've had this happen before and needed a new barrel ordered to the vin. Not cheap.

The proper lock de-icer spray will do the job. I've got a volvo branded version that contains graphite and is designed for use in locks. Maybe the MB dealer sells the same stuff, I know VW dealers sell it as well so it can't be too bad for the locks.

The other obvious long term solution is to fit remote locking.

re the demister pads, they defo do work. I've got one in my w124 to help combat the condensation from a water leak. Weigh it before and after, it's suprising how much water hold. Also for ref, I found the cheapest place to buy them was from Conrad via ebay.

Have sold loads of locks to people who used wd40 to ruin them.

I think we should start an anti-wd40 thread.

I only used the WD40 a couple of times before I got fed up with it and getting some proper Graphite lubricant...... glad I did after the comments above.

Good to hear the pads work well @Millo, remote central locking will be one of this years projects :)

I only used the WD40 a couple of times before I got fed up with it and getting some proper Graphite lubricant...... glad I did after the comments above.

Good to hear the pads work well @Millo, remote central locking will be one of this years projects :)

Same here with the remote central locking, but I'm going for the factory Merc IR version :wallbash:

lets see how unreliable these are said to be! Had a W124 N reg saloon with it and was working perfectly..

@Billy - i've not even begun to look into it yet. Are there any particular reasons to go with the factory version other than keeping it orig ? What would one expect to pay for the Merc IR parts ?

@Billy - i've not even begun to look into it yet. Are there any particular reasons to go with the factory version other than keeping it orig ? What would one expect to pay for the Merc IR parts ?

Nope - just to keep it original.

If i were you i wouldn't bother going this route as its much, much hassle than its worth! Its over complicated wiring and components are a PIA.

I'm only doing it as i had a donor car with the system. I don't even want to think about the price of the parts from MB for this system though!

To give you an idea the sensor for the tailgate is £135+vat. Ours has recently failed. The drivers door one is fine. Got to decide if its worth repairing or get a cobra system fitted for £120 all in. This would then give proper remote locking/unlocking from all round the car and from a reasonable distance away. No brainer really but something keeps saying keep it original.

I know what you mean, its nice to keep as much of the car in its original state as possible.
Price is probably gonna be the key for me this year so that probably rules out the OEM route I guess.

I had a scorpion (I think thats what is is anway) system to mine for £180 by a local place and it works really well. It's pretty much the same system dealers fitted to the pre facelift w124s.

@BillyW124, is it possible to get replacement remotes for the MB system you're fitting? I think my W140 has a similar IR system with the combined flip key remote. For mine I can't get keys cut or remotes programmed, they can only be ordered from MB in Germany and I needed the V5 and passport copies etc. If you fit the system from another car and the remotes break/get lost, I fear you may find it impossible to source replacements as the source vehicle will have been scrapped.

@BillyW124, is it possible to get replacement remotes for the MB system you're fitting? I think my W140 has a similar IR system with the combined flip key remote. For mine I can't get keys cut or remotes programmed, they can only be ordered from MB in Germany and I needed the V5 and passport copies etc. If you fit the system from another car and the remotes break/get lost, I fear you may find it impossible to source replacements as the source vehicle will have been scrapped.

You can get replacecment keys/fobs as long as you can supply the log book with proof of ownership.

The donor car i had was transfered into my name for this very reason down the line if i need replacemnent keys etc - even though the car is scrapped.

MB only want to see proof that your name is on the log book with proof of ID.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom