Frozen S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul S320CDi

Car
S320 CDi LWB
I've never known a car to get frozen up like this one.

I don't know why but as soon as it gets frosty all my windows and roof are frozen solid and I cannot open them.

When it's cold I like to drive with the window open for a bit until the engine warms up so my breath doesn't steam up the windscreen. It's agony at the moment when all 4 windows are inoperable.

I even poured warm water on the glass hoping it would melt the ice but it never got to where it was needed.

Is this common for an S?

vaseline on the rubbers should stop it frezzing up, not to much though or it makes a mess.

I've never known a car to get frozen up like this one.

I don't know why but as soon as it gets frosty all my windows and roof are frozen solid and I cannot open them.

When it's cold I like to drive with the window open for a bit until the engine warms up so my breath doesn't steam up the windscreen. It's agony at the moment when all 4 windows are inoperable.

I even poured warm water on the glass hoping it would melt the ice but it never got to where it was needed.

Is this common for an S?

That's global warming for you.:rolleyes:

Silicone spray all the way! And of course a cover for the windscreen so you don't have to melt or scrape it.

With the electric heater in the car, isn't is sufficient to put the AC on "defrost"?

I have no problem with my S, I do run with aircon on at all times and find the only time the front windscreen mists up is when I use de icer on the screen. I usually scrape it but if its to thick I resort to the de icer. I never open the windows or roof in the winter, too cold:D

Never had any problems with mine either, but that could have something to do with the fact that I put it in a heated garage :D.

I have the same problem if i leave my car out overnight and there is freezing rain;the solution is to smear a light coating of silicon ( see CPC website...about £3 for a tube that willl last a lifetime!) on the rubber surrounds to all window seals.

This also has the benefit of preserving the rubbers;)

Place a mains electric blower heater in the car for 10 mins before your drive it off....This will warm the interior nicely and defrost the windows.....need to be close to a mains plug, however!!

Silicon spray from Halfords will sort it mate. Just spray a little over all rubber seals and wipe over with a cloth.

thats weird , my e320 CDI gives almost instant demisting even on really cold -4 mornings

My 126 500SEL has been frozen up pretty good a few times recently - lowest I saw was -4.5 on the OTG one morning - the windscreens clear within a few minutes of starting and the side windows operate OK ( quickest way of clearing the ice ) although the roof was slow to slide back the one time I tried it .

Engine started instantly in the freezing cold too .

I have the same problem if i leave my car out overnight and there is freezing rain;the solution is to smear a light coating of silicon ( see CPC website...about £3 for a tube that willl last a lifetime!) on the rubber surrounds to all window seals.

This also has the benefit of preserving the rubbers;)

You have an SL. With pillarless doors where the window drops to allow access what happens if the window won't drop due to being frozen?

thats weird , my e320 CDI gives almost instant demisting even on really cold -4 mornings

So does mine, I know diesel BMWs have a separate fuel burning auxilury heater to allow quicker warm up of the cabin. Perhaps our cars have the same.

You have an SL. With pillarless doors where the window drops to allow access what happens if the window won't drop due to being frozen?

Mine has them too, the door still opens & closes even if the window is frozen.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom