Frozen Side Windscreens on CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baron_Samedi

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK200K
Hi All,

In the recent inclement weather, getting into my car was a nightmare.

Because there are no pillars the side windscreens freeze solid which mean they can't articulate to open the car.

Is there a product I can use to ease this situation?

Thinking Einzsett Gummi Pflege - has anyone experience of this product?

Ta

Gary

Keep it in a garage!

No seriously, MB gave us a small spray can of silicon based lubricant to put on the rubber seals when we had the car serviced (rather they left it in the car!!)

Well, apparently the Gummi Pflege lubricates the seals and prevents them sticking to the glass....

I am well dogged off with having to defrost the whole circumference of the glass before attempting to open the door.

Regarding the garage, I have an outbuilding nominally called a garage but to look inside you could easily mistake it for Arthur Daley's lock up :)

Silicone spray on door seals is brilliant and really works.

Lynall

It's been minus 7C a few times up here & my doors still open OK, even with the windows frozen & unable to drop, it does not stop the door opening or closing. Mine sits out all night too.

Russ

Thanks Lynall I'll look into that :)

Rf065... what stops my door from dropping and window rotating is the frost (often thick) so... do you never have the problem where the door can't drop slightly to pass the roof seal?

I used to use vasaline on the door rubbers of grandadas/sierras, they often freeze solid enough you snap the door handles off trying to open them.

Hi Popuptoaster,

Nice fix mate if you are in a bind, but remember that vaseline is petroleum based and will eat your seals if used long term:rolleyes:

Lynall's suggestion of silicon spray is a good one, my old 350z used to do this in winter and this is how I cured it.:)

I've heard washing up liquid stops it freezing, although be warned it may make the rubbers brittle in the long term.

Nice if you're in a fix though!

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll remember that when we get frost again.

Got to be better than using a car "hood"....

I've heard washing up liquid stops it freezing, although be warned it may make the rubbers brittle in the long term.

TBH I would never put washing up liquid anywhere near my car!!! Very high salts content - self explanatory......:cool:

Use silicon spray. Halfords sell it and gets discounted if you have a trade card too!!

Spray on to a lint free cloth and apply to the seal. That way you wont inadvertently spray it where you don't want it!

Use sparingly too....

Sage words....

Sparingly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom