FSH what a joke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jon.english68

Car
C220 AMG Sport Plus Coupe
Bought my C220 last month with FSH although it isn't Merc SH well after driving it around for a month I thought it not as responsive as I think it should be so today I checked the air filter [emoji15] couldn't get the cover off, it was stuck fast, when it eventually came off I was shocked, I had to vacuum out the filter box as it was so full of dirt, the filter was absolutely blocked full of dirt, I don't think I have ever seen a filter so blocked up [emoji30] on the bright side Euro car parts have them on offer on eBay ☺
123aa7164a13242b5fc12e22e762cf13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old is it and what mileage as the air filter isn't due a change for 4 years or 60,000 miles.

Would you prefer the dirt to be the other side of the filter?

Would you prefer the dirt to be the other side of the filter?

I would prefer the air filter to be replaced, :dk: the car is a 2012 and has done 90K but i would have thought regardless of the Merc service interval for the air filter if its dirty it need replacing :wallbash:

A family member bought a car last year which was 8 years old/100k miles. It had been serviced so I thought I'd check the 'extras' as I call them, which is anything bar an oil and filter. The pollen filter was the original from the factory and was the cause of a very weak blower.

@OP, aren't Crosland crap filters these days?

FFS you lot are a cynical bunch, a new filter has got to be better than a blocked filter regardless of brand

FFS you lot are a cynical bunch, a new filter has got to be better than a blocked filter regardless of brand

Yes but my point was maybe you should have bought a better one? I'm sure it was documented on here about their quality

Ecp own the Brand Crossland, Which used to be made by Fram filters, I'd certainly like to see a filter changed at every interval say 8k at least. It's all about getting Getting the max life out of a servicable product, and not much about wether it's any good for the car.saa

Last edited:
It will be interesting to hear if your car performs better with a new filter.
but I can understand your annoyance if it has the original filter.

If you go by Mercedes service intervals it's nearly due a filter anyway, the filter has done its job, ideally should buy a Mann filter.

The thing is with the term fsh you can buy a car with 100k miles and fsh and all it has had is a oil and filter change every time.

I'm with the OP. Standard air filter changes are far too long. For the sake of 20 quid change it yearly/10k. It will make a difference to mpg and driveability.

I always buy genuine mb air filters they are not that pricey.

I always buy genuine mb air filters they are not that pricey.

Really? An S212 V6 takes two filters the size of a small Kleenex which clog up terribly between services. They cost £32.90 each + vat from Merc.:eek::eek::eek:

A fuel filter for the same engine is £79 +. Engine oil filter £11.00 +

These prices are May 2015.

hahahahaha.

just checked Europarts, left filter £42.50 / right filter £39.50. I have recently bought a E350 (2010 W212) with full history but not all MB. Car has only done 35K so I'm assuming it has the original fitted?

I usually change air filters at every service as they are normally cheap and easy to fit... what happened to this one....£82 for Crosland filters!!

Agree with what's been said that 4 years is too long for an air filter change. There could, and has been in the OPs case, an awful amount of crud accumulate in that time.

I have no idea on the price of MB ones, though I do know that the OE stuff on the M157 engines seems to be a case of fit over function, and there are substantially better ones around for it.

Mine tend to get cleaned out every 3,000 miles, changed when they're no longer cleanable.

As others said... Mercedes service schedule is different to most other makes, in that the 'Service' only ever includes engine oil and filter change.

The other service items are not linked to any specific service, but simply done by mileage/age.

So if on my Kia the site filter get changed every 4th, 8th, and 12th service, on the Merc it may get changed on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4tn service - ie if the car reached 60,000 miles before the 4th service.

For this reason, while Kia dealer quotes for "Year 4 Service" (which includes all additional items), the MB dealer is quoting for "Service A" or "Service B", then quoting separately again for any additional items such as filters, fluids, spark plugs etc.

In principle the MB dealer is not supposed to stamp the service book unless ALL additional items that fell due on the date/mileage were also carried-out, but in reality many dealers will stamp the book even if only the basic oil and filter change were done.

As for air filter.... my car only does around 4,000 miles a year, and personally I change the air filter every 2 years (instead of 4). It's a 10 minutes DYI job and the filter is inexpensive, even the Mann/Mahle/Knecht/Bosch ones.

Where do you think sellers of NOS parts get their substantial stock of MB oil, air, cabin & fuel filters from?

Just to add to my comment, I wasn't agreeing with Mercedes service intervals, mearly stating that the op car was probably due a filter based on service intervals.

50k for both the fuel and air is far to long on Mercs, I have seen v6 cdi filters blocked solid at 18k and had fuel pressure problem due to blocked fuel filters on cdis long before 50k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom