Fuel Additives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tacho d

Car
Mercedes Benz W209 CLK 220 CDI
Hi all, is it ok to use certain additives on the 2.3 compressor engines, (m111) to clean the injectors and fuel system? At 67000 it may be time, but I don't know how effective they are and if the manufacturers claims are true. Anybody tried these, and is there a recommendation?

tacho d said:
Hi all, is it ok to use certain additives on the 2.3 compressor engines, (m111) to clean the injectors and fuel system? At 67000 it may be time, but I don't know how effective they are and if the manufacturers claims are true. Anybody tried these, and is there a recommendation?
I have used millers for last 6 years with no problem but I only run the car on premium fuel shell v power etc and use a double dose of the millers every 3rd or 4th tank just to ensure the fuel system stays clean

I use Millers Power Ecomax in my diesel, I add it to every tank full and it certainly makes a difference. Seems to be more responsive and quieter. A 500ml bottle treats 10 x 50 litres tank fill ups.

They make an equivalent petrol additive and if it's as good as the diesel additive I would certainly recommend it. I've used other brands of additives in my previous cars, Jags, Volvos, which have all been petrol engined, but never the Millers.

Here's a link to the details and bumph on Millers. The cheapest I have found is on ebay.
Road Car Fuel Treatments Additives | Millers Oils

grumpyoldgit said:
I use Millers Power Ecomax in my diesel, I add it to every tank full and it certainly makes a difference. Seems to be more responsive and quieter. A 500ml bottle treats 10 x 50 litres tank fill ups. They make an equivalent petrol additive and if it's as good as the diesel additive I would certainly recommend it. I've used other brands of additives in my previous cars, Jags, Volvos, which have all been petrol engined, but never the Millers. Here's a link to the details and bumph on Millers. The cheapest I have found is on ebay. Road Car Fuel Treatments Additives | Millers Oils

I can confirm the petrol additive is as good as the diesel additive as I use both

Having used Redex for over 10 years I can highly recommend it, though Forte and Millers have good reputation as well.

Said that, since I had the Merc I no longer use fuel additives, instead I just use Premium fuels (V-Power / Ultimate) which already contain the correct concentration of detergents.

Lots of studies show no improvement...check you tube. 5th gear tv show for example

Your handbook will advise against it.

As Markjay said, the best bet is V-Power or BP Ultimate petrol fuel IMHO, if costs are not an issue. I used a full tank of BP ultimate every 3 or so months in a C200 just to keep things clean...it had circa 90000 miles then and could notice difference fairly quickly. But petrol mercs are so smooth there isnt much difference to be noticed really ;)

Fuel additives are only available to cure/ prevent issues that manufacturers do not foresee.
Obviously the handbook would advise against using them.

There is a more detailed technical info document from MB explaining that the reason they object to fuel additives is because they are concerned that drivers might use too much of it.

MB are not against fuel additives as such, just against drivers adding these themselves.

They clearly state that fuels that already include additives are fine to use as long as the mixture was pre-prepared by the fuel supplier or retailer and not by the driver at the pump.

So if your car is out of manufacturer's warranty and you are confident that you can add the correct dosage then you can take a view on whether you prefer the expensive but safe and convenient option of premium fuels, or the cheaper and more laborious route of working out the right quantity and adding the fuel additive yourself.

Millers stopped my car smoking when I boot it

It's rated by me

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

There is a more detailed technical info document from MB explaining that the reason they object to fuel additives is because they are concerned that drivers might use too much of it.

MB are not against fuel additives as such, just against drivers adding these themselves.

They clearly state that fuels that already include additives are fine to use as long as the mixture was pre-prepared by the fuel supplier or retailer and not by the driver at the pump.

So if your car is out of manufacturer's warranty and you are confident that you can add the correct dosage then you can take a view on whether you prefer the expensive but safe and convenient option of premium fuels, or the cheaper and more laborious route of working out the right quantity and adding the fuel additive yourself.

Your post makes absolute sense Markjay!
Unfortunately in the real world second hand cars are subjected to the cheapest of fuels, lack of maintenance, and extreme circumstances all round that manufacturers cannot recognise!
Additives are usually used in times of desperation by owners that either want to cure a problem on the cheap or prevent a problem.
You post as an individual who maintains his vehicle strictly to the schedule do you not? And with the upmost confidence ( and rightly so ) with the garage that maintains it.
Unfortunately not everyone knows the history of their vehicle, and in times of trouble additives can help

Edit

Last edited:
Only slightly relevant to the OP, but I added a bottle of Wynnes diesel injector cleaner to my old 210 and it sailed through the MOT emissions last week.
The expiring MOT cert. had an advisory :- "slightly smokey engine"

So does anyone actually have a long-term experience with home-made additives based on 90-95% 2stroke oil and 5-10% white gas with the OM613 or similar engine?

I have given a 200ml of my approx 90% mixture to the second tank and so far it feels quieter and tiny bit better MPG, but I think when I finish my mixture, I'd probably rather switch for the Shell Nitro diesel which not only has additivives, but instead of bio compound it has GTL which is increasing cetane number, improves burning and fuel efficiency, and should be also MUCH cleaner than natural diesel or biodiesel, and is synthesized from waste CNG and similar gases but the synthetisation is probably pricier than the diesel itself, so even from waste, in the end it costs more...

Cheers...

Has anyone used the redex diesel additive? its on a 'buy one get one free' deal. Just thinking if its worth trying this instead of millers?

I haven't tried any of them, just thinking it might be a good idea to give the system a little clean.

Halfords | Redex Diesel Treatment 500ml

As others have said, I hate to state this but as for fuel performance and improvement, there is no evidience that any of these additives give any significant benefits as there has been various shows that have proved its a bit of a gimmick.

However what the additives are good for is cleaning the contants inside the float gauge in the fuel tank if you get dodgy fuel gauge readings. I used Slick 50 injection cleaner and it fixed my fuel sender unit over about 3 weeks.

As others have said, I hate to state this but as for fuel performance and improvement, there is no evidience that any of these additives give any significant benefits as there has been various shows that have proved its a bit of a gimmick.

However what the additives are good for is cleaning the contants inside the float gauge in the fuel tank if you get dodgy fuel gauge readings. I used Slick 50 injection cleaner and it fixed my fuel sender unit over about 3 weeks.

My primary goal is to clear the system, surely it wont clear everything - but every little helps.

I'm not looking for performance gains or differences whilst running on any additive, as this would only be a 'once in a while' routine.

Wynn's dpf cleaner looks interesting too. Again, all depends on whether it actually does clean anything & doesn't damage anything else.

Hi all, is it ok to use certain additives on the 2.3 compressor engines, (m111) to clean the injectors and fuel system?
At 67000 it may be time, but I don't know how effective they are and if the manufacturers claims are true.
Anybody tried these, and is there a recommendation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlVcFnzcfg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom