Fuel Angel Misfuel Prevention Device

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
Having made the petrol into diesel tank before I'm looking at purchasing one of the Fuel Angel simple misfuelling prevention devices, & wondering if any other member has one fitted or has experience of using one. At £40 it appears to be a good investment as last time I lost 3/4 tank of fuel + the cost of refilling again

Personally I think people should pay as much attention at the fuel pump as they do when actually driving the car. But evidence proves that many do not and end up mis fuelling their cars. If you think a device like this will help you then go ahead and fit it.

I have driven countless cars - particularly hire cars - sometimes 3 or 4 different models within the space of a month, both petrol and diesel. I have 3 cars and a van in my households and have only mis fuelled one of the once in many years of driving .....my ancient van which has a lorry style filler cap so wide you could drop a cricket ball down it so every nozzle will fit. £10 worth of petrol went in the virtually empty tank , I realised after a few hundred yards of driving so went back an filled up with diesel.

The old style diesel lump has not missed a beat since, in fact it might have done it some good ! I realise more modern diesel engines fair less well on a diet of petrol.

I've got one fitted to my C200cdi. I also have a Solo Diesel which I prefer due to ease of use, but it was something as simple as a slow drip while filling up that made me come down on the side of the Fuel Angel, even though that is not without its own foibles. Unlike the Solo, you have to take off a cap before filling, which means one more dieselly thing to touch. More importantly, if the pump nozzle is a little out of shape (quite common) it may not fit properly or even at all, or the pump's overflow cutout can trigger unless you trickle the fuel.

They both work, and of course having misfuelled once the mere fitting of a device means I haven't gone to the wrong pump since.

Having only petrol cars myself , I’m not going to misfuel my own cars , but if I occasionally take a works van or car , I’ve seen me rarely reach for the petrol pump out of force of habit then usually stop myself .

Only one time I did it , years ago , I realised after I’d put in less than £5 of petrol . So I just stopped , and filled the rest of the tank up with diesel . I paid for the £5 of petrol myself and the diesel went on the fuel card .

Never said anything to my employer and the van ran fine as long as he had it .

It can work the other way round ; I remember at an outdoor job we were using a Honda petrol generator; after about an hour it spluttered to a halt , went to refuel it and found the tank still half full , after a moment sniffed in the tank and , yes , someone had put diesel into it .

Fortunately , draining the tank and cleaning out the carb was enough to get it running again .

Last edited:
Personally I think people should pay as much attention at the fuel pump as they do when actually driving the car.

In many cases they already do, which is how this problem arises. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom