fuel consumption figures (Misprint??)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kinaero

Car
E220CDI AMG SPORT Estate
One of my friends was commenting how much better his E 250CDI saloon auto compares to C250CDI estate auto in terms of fuel consumptions. He's picking up his new E250CDI in Sept.
I didn't believe him, so he went on the merc site click on edition 125 and downloaded E class price list, and indeed, it was achieving better mpg figures than C class!
E class 45.6 urban, 67.3 extra urban and 57.6combined, which incidentally exactly same figures as E220 CDI !!!
C class 44.1 urban, 62.8 extra urban and 54.3combined

BUT !! When I downloaded E class ebrochure, the figures are completely different?!

E class 36.2 urban, 64.2 extra urban and 48.7combined, which are also exactly the same figures for E220CDI !!!

Hope I am not confusing anybody here? But which one is correct?
Unless I've made a mistake somewhere, an oversight like this shouldn't happened to a giant like Mercedes.
And surely Mercedes must risk having their orders being cancelled or sued by buyer whom bought the car based on first set of figures(assuming its incorrect)

Last edited:
Mercedes quoted fuel consumption figures seem to be a work of total fiction anyway, as I can never get anywhere near the quoted figures in my C class, so I would take them all with a pinch of salt.

Mercedes quoted fuel consumption figures seem to be a work of total fiction anyway, as I can never get anywhere near the quoted figures in my C class, so I would take them all with a pinch of salt.
Yes of course, I don't expect people to fall for manufacturers claim.
But it wouldn't surprise me if someone would try to pull a fast one from Mercedes for publishing misleading data/figures?? :rolleyes:

Forgot to mention that the co2 figures are also different, meaning one would pay only £115 road tax, the other would be £165!

Carefully check the publication dates of the documents and the precise spec of the cars.

My guess is that the higher consumption figures are for the 5-speed auto (which has only just been phased out on the E-Class) and the lower consumption figures are for cars with the 7G-Tronic Plus autobox and stop/start. The combination of those features massively improve the Urban and Combined consumption figures and drop the CO2 significantly. During the period when the E250CDI was available with the 7G-Tronic Plus autobox and stop/start while the E220CDI was only available with the 5-speed auto and no stop/start, the former was much more fuel efficient than the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom